Got flow but beer is some what flat. HELP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve50

Reaction score
Recently posted no flow,after trying and researching I simply turned the pressure up from 9 to 10 psi and got flow . The beer seem to be some what flat. There are bubbles but it also seems thin if that makes sense. It has been in the kegerator for 2 weeks at 9 psi @34 deg F . Suggestions
Steve

I wouldn't pump it up to 14psi at 34 degrees unless you are looking for 3 volumes CO2, which is a little on the high side depending on the style. It takes a little while to carb up if you are doing the set it and forget it method. I'd just give it some time. Also, how are you measuring that temp?

I am taking the fridge temp with a thermometer placed on the bottom next to the keg. Beer also had that green beer taste. It is a hopped wheat beer ,clone of 3 Floyd's gumball head. Does it just need more time in the set and forget method? Have been reading that this is the best way to go to carb up
Steve

Steve, I wonder if your pressure gauge is reading high? That would explain the low carb level and low/no flow. How long are your beer lines? Is this a typical kegerator setup?

I am taking the fridge temp with a thermometer placed on the bottom next to the keg. Beer also had that green beer taste. It is a hopped wheat beer ,clone of 3 Floyd's gumball head. Does it just need more time in the set and forget method? Have been reading that this is the best way to go to carb up
Steve

It may need more time but it may be there is some temperature stratification in your setup. Is there a fan or anything? If the ambient at the bottom is 34, the top of the keg could be significantly warmer.

Have you ever tried to force carb? Turn you PSI to like 35 and shake it for like 15 mins and let it sit at that pressure for 24-28 hours. Then bleed all the pressure and then set it back to 8 psi for serving?

I can't believe after 2 weeks it's low still, it usually only takes mine about 5 or 6 days using the set it and forget it method. Maybe the gauge is reading higher than what's really being put out.

I have the delux set up from beverage factory,door mount kit. The lines are 5 ft. This is my first keg so no I have not tried the shake method.the fridge that I converted is a medium sized 33x20 . All things fit inside.

I have the delux set up from beverage factory,door mount kit. The lines are 5 ft. This is my first keg so no I have not tried the shake method.the fridge that I converted is a medium sized 33x20 . All things fit inside.

First is make sure your gauge is reading correctly... Then I would try the shake method... make sure the keg is cold... lay it on its side and turn the PSI up to 35 then roll it with your foot (that’s what I do)... you'll be able to hear it bubbling inside and the pressure going through your lines... then let it sit for 24 hours bleed it and then set it at 8 psi overnight... should be good in the morning. I know other people have other methods but hey it works for me.

Back