Cheap source of gelatin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevstev

Reaction score
Hey all,
I wanted to try my hand at using gelatin to clear a beer, but was somewhat surprised when I went on Amazon, and saw it was being sold for roughly $20/lb, searching for "unflavored gelatin." A box of flavored jello is about $1.49/3oz, or roughly $8/lb. And often it is on sale for 50 cents. I am sure there is a bunch of flavoring and sugar added to the jello boxes, but I thought the gelatin was the cheap part!

Anyway, what is a cheap source of unflavored gelatin? or is $20/lb the price?

Go to a store and look for the knox unflavored stuff. Dirt cheap if I remember right.

I bought a box to try and have never done it after the first time

Cool. I will check out the store. I was buying other stuff, and generally it is cheaper to buy stuff on Amazon, especially if you buy in sizes larger than is typically available at a store.

I don't know what you have down in the US but here in Canada we have Bulk Barn. If you thought the Knox at the grocery store was cheap you should check it out in bulk. I'd not think of buying the Knox again unless absolutely necessary. Bulk Barn is definitely the way to go.

And you only need half of one of the little knox packs for a five gallon batch.

Back