Saint Arnold's Endeavour - let's create a recipe!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbsg02

Reaction score
http://www.saintarnold.com/beers/endeavour.html

This is a GREAT Double IPA and anyone in Texas that likes IPA's needs to try this one. Great balance and lots of tropical fruit notes from the hops.

The website give me a SG of 1.078 with an ABV of 8.9%, which would mean the FG is 1.011. Pretty low FG for a beer with that much malt. It also gives the IBUs of 76 and lists the hops as Columbus, Simcoe, and Centennial.

Other things I know:
-They use a "dark crystal" malt
-They use some brown sugar (but not too much)
-They have a proprietary yeast strain which is the key to the malt flavor, they suggested London ESB though.
-Dry hopping while warm is important (which sounds like a whirlpool hop)

So which dark crystal malt would be best. Crystal 80?
How much brown sugar, this will affect the SRM as well as the FG.
Mash temp? How to get this beer to finish at 1.011, especially with London ESB, which has a low attenuation.
Hop Schedule? I'm guessing Columbus for bittering and Simcoe/Centennial for Flavor/Aroma/Dry Hop.

First attempt at a recipe:

For 5.5 gallons, 75% efficiency

11.5 lbs 2-Row
1 lb Crystal 80
2 lb Brown Sugar

1.5 oz Columbus (60 min)
1 oz Centennial (20 min)
1 oz Simcoe (Flameout)
1 oz Centennial (Flameout)
1 oz Simcoe (Dryhop)
1 oz Centennial (Dry Hop)

Mash at 150 (something low enough to help get the FG down to 1.011)

London ESB yeast

I'm thinking that is going to be way too much brown sugar. Possibly split the hops to a 30 min and a 15 min addition?

Im know help with the recipe, but i want to say that its a great beer and i would love to brew a good clone. Have you thought about sending them an email and asking them to critique you recipe? I know some brewerys will do this.

I actually did think about that, but I figured we could bounce some ideas around on here before we got to that.

How did this turn out? Would love to attempt for my next brew. Really impressed with what St. Arnold's was able to do with Endeavour.

if you've never brewed with brown sugar I can tell you from experience that just 8 oz shines through in a 5 Gallon batch. Good luck!

if you've never brewed with brown sugar I can tell you from experience that just 8 oz shines through in a 5 Gallon batch. Good luck!

good to hear, I never actually made this brew, and was hoping that some other people who have tried this beer would chime in and give their thoughts. my main concern is getting a beer of that gravity to finish that low with a London ESB strain

The sugar will help get it down there. My DIPA used a 1lb of crystal malt, 8 oz brown and 8 oz table sugar. It was a partial mash with US-05 and finished at 1.011. So, I think AG and mashing @ 150 with a 1lb of sugar total ought to be real close.

Any further developments on this clone? I really love Endeavour and haven't found anyone who has done any experimenting with any recipe that is close.

I love this beer, especially on tap when it's super fresh. It pretty much singlehandedly turned me into a DIPA fanatic. I tried for a while to make a beer just like it, but never really succeeded so kinda forgot about it after I found a really solid DIPA recipe that I liked a lot. Then about 6 weeks ago my cousin asked me to brew a 5 gallon batch for his college graduation party. I agreed as long as it could be a DIPA. So I brewed up a batch that used 6 different hops that I had sitting in my freezer. Dry-hopped it with 2 oz each of Centennial and Citra in the keg for 2 weeks while it carbed up. The night before the party I hooked up a picnic tap to give it a shot and whaddya know, the closest I ever came to Endeavour!! It was awesome and a huge hit at the party. Now I can't wait to brew it again so I can put a keg of it in my kegerator. I'll post the recipe tomorrow when I get a chance and have some free time.

Mmmmmm, Endeavour...

I agree with you....you have to get it on tap. I bought about 6 of the 22oz'ers when they came out. But, it's just not the same. (I did get a chance to have some of it at Hay Merchant when they had it on cask. After the first sip I was :rockin:)

I'm really looking forward to seeing your recipe. My buddy and I just had success with an all-grain Imperial IPA recipe he created back in college (10.7% ABV!).

I was wanting to do an Endeavour next. Figured I'd try here before begging for help at the front of the St. Arnold Brewery doorstep!

I made a modified version of a 2.5 gal recipe I borrowed from jbsg02's:
For 2.5 gallons,
5.75 lbs 2-Row
.5 lb Crystal 80
1 lb Brown Sugar
.75 oz Columbus (60 min)
.5 oz Centennial (20 min)
.5 oz Simcoe (Flameout)
.5 oz Centennial (Flameout)
.5 oz Simcoe (Dryhop)
.5 oz Centennial (Dry Hop)
Mash at 150, London ESB yeast.

I think I threw some Grapefruit rinds in the boil and for the 1st week of the 1st round. It turned out great, and it was only my 2nd attempt. It was actually a little more hoppy and rough than the St. Arnolds version, but it was very drinkable (it's almost gone and I still have 3 big bottles of my 1st batch of Tripple Tipple). We started drinking it after 2-4 months of conditioning in the bottle; The longer conditioned ones taste better.

I took the tour of the St. Arnolds brewery in Houston (and been there a couple more times just to drink) and asked the head brewer a few questions; He verified all the ingredients on this list I could remember, emphasized the use of Reverse Osmosis water that they made there with a large RO machine they got before they started doing IPA's, and he said it went through 20 rounds of conditioning. Great tour and I really like going to that brewery, good deal to get samples for cheep and hang out.

Here's the recipe I was talking about. Been outta town for a while so I think I'm gonna brew it pretty soon too.

Justin's Party IPA

Style: Imperial IPA
OG: 1.082
FG: 1.016
ABV: 8.65 %
Calories: 266 IBU's: 86.14
Efficiency: 70 % Boil Size: 7.54 Gal
Color: 12.8 SRM Batch Size: 5.50 Gal
Preboil OG: 1.063 Boil Time: 60 minutes

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp
Primary 14 days @ 63.0°F
Bottle/Keg 14 days @ 45.0°F

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
13.00 lbs 72.22 % Pale Malt (2 Row) US 60 mins 1.036
2.00 lbs 11.11 % Munich Malt 60 mins 1.037
1.00 lbs 5.56 % Briess 2-Row Caramel 80L 60 mins 1.033
1.00 lbs 5.56 % Wheat Malt, Ger 60 mins 1.039
1.00 lbs 5.56 % Corn Sugar (Dextrose) 60 mins 1.046

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
1.70 ozs 61.73 Galena First Wort 13.00
0.84 ozs 4.68 Centennial 5 mins 10.00
0.50 ozs 2.37 Amarillo Gold 5 mins 8.50
0.50 ozs 3.90 Columbus (Tomahawk) 5 mins 14.00
0.84 ozs 0.00 Centennial 0 mins 10.00
0.50 ozs 0.00 Amarillo Gold 0 mins 8.50
1.00 ozs Amarillo Gold 7 days 8.50
0.50 ozs 0.00 Columbus (Tomahawk) 0 mins 14.00
0.50 ozs 0.00 Citra 0 mins 13.20
0.50 ozs 3.68 Citra 5 mins 13.20
0.50 ozs 0.00 Simcoe 0 mins 13.00
0.50 ozs 3.62 Simcoe 5 mins 13.00
2.00 ozs. Centennial dry hop for 7 days
2.00 ozs. Citra. dry hop for 7 days

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
2.0 pkg Safale US-05 Fermentis US-05

I made a modified version of a 2.5 gal recipe I borrowed from jbsg02's:
For 2.5 gallons,
5.75 lbs 2-Row
.5 lb Crystal 80
1 lb Brown Sugar
.75 oz Columbus (60 min)
.5 oz Centennial (20 min)
.5 oz Simcoe (Flameout)
.5 oz Centennial (Flameout)
.5 oz Simcoe (Dryhop)
.5 oz Centennial (Dry Hop)
Mash at 150, London ESB yeast.

I think I threw some Grapefruit rinds in the boil and for the 1st week of the 1st round. It turned out great, and it was only my 2nd attempt. It was actually a little more hoppy and rough than the St. Arnolds version, but it was very drinkable (it's almost gone and I still have 3 big bottles of my 1st batch of Tripple Tipple). We started drinking it after 2-4 months of conditioning in the bottle; The longer conditioned ones taste better.

I took the tour of the St. Arnolds brewery in Houston (and been there a couple more times just to drink) and asked the head brewer a few questions; He verified all the ingredients on this list I could remember, emphasized the use of Reverse Osmosis water that they made there with a large RO machine they got before they started doing IPA's, and he said it went through 20 rounds of conditioning. Great tour and I really like going to that brewery, good deal to get samples for cheep and hang out.

Did they say which crystal malt was used? I had only guessed 80L in my first recipe, I was only told they used a dark crystal, but not which one

I have brewed 2 attempts at the Endeavour. My first attempt was almost exactly as jbsg02 posted in this thread with 13lb of 2 row etc. My OG was 1.075 BUT my FG ended at 1.020 which is was too high for the attempt. I mashed at 150 as well. My 2nd attempt was the same except I boosted my 2 row up to 16 lbs!! OG at 1.085 and same FG at 1.022. I used 8oz or Brown sugar and 8oz of table sugar which I think is just right due to the flavor. My 3rd attempt will have more hops because it tasted light.
Who can tell me how to get my FG down lower with the London ESB? I have researched and my 2nd attempt was pretty spot on for attenuation. Yet I'm still off...
All that being said my first attempt tasted great. Lighter that Endeavour but very tasty and similar. I'm on the right track!

I have brewed 2 attempts at the Endeavour. My first attempt was almost exactly as jbsg02 posted in this thread with 13lb of 2 row etc. My OG was 1.075 BUT my FG ended at 1.020 which is was too high for the attempt. I mashed at 150 as well. My 2nd attempt was the same except I boosted my 2 row up to 16 lbs!! OG at 1.085 and same FG at 1.022. I used 8oz or Brown sugar and 8oz of table sugar which I think is just right due to the flavor. My 3rd attempt will have more hops because it tasted light.
Who can tell me how to get my FG down lower with the London ESB? I have researched and my 2nd attempt was pretty spot on for attenuation. Yet I'm still off...
All that being said my first attempt tasted great. Lighter that Endeavour but very tasty and similar. I'm on the right track!

Glad to hear it was close, I never got around to trying to brew it. How they get it to finish so low I'm not quite sure, maybe mashing even lower and switching to wlp007 as well as using more sugar and less malt

This has long been one of my favorite brews, and I love trying to clone it. 5 gallon all grain recipe as follows:

11.5# 2 row (72%)
2# munich (12.5%)
1# crystal 80 (6%)
1# flaked wheat (6%)
0.5# vienna (3%)

1oz columbus @ 60 min
0.5oz simecoe @ 45 min
0.5oz centennial @ 30 min
0.5oz simcoe @ 8 min
0.5oz centennial @ 2 min

Mashed at 149.

Wyeast 1028 (London ale yeast) fermented at 67F.

OG 1.078
FG 1.010
SRM 14
IBU 76

This has long been one of my favorite brews, and I love trying to clone it. 5 gallon all grain recipe as follows:

11.5# 2 row (72%)
2# munich (12.5%)
1# crystal 80 (6%)
1# flaked wheat (6%)
0.5# vienna (3%)

1oz columbus @ 60 min
0.5oz simecoe @ 45 min
0.5oz centennial @ 30 min
0.5oz simcoe @ 8 min
0.5oz centennial @ 2 min

Mashed at 149.

Wyeast 1028 (London ale yeast) fermented at 67F.

OG 1.078
FG 1.010
SRM 14
IBU 76

I don't think they use any Munich, Wheat, or Vienna. The original post was info straight from the brewery

Latest posts

Back