Blood Orange IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan_Irish

Reaction score
I need some help fellow home brewers! I need some ideas for a five gallon batch(all grain) to make this blood orange IPA for my friends wedding. It both his and his soon to be wife's favorite fruit and they both love IPA's so I figured its the least I could do. Thanks in advance.

No personal experience here, but I've read that fermented orange juice tastes like vomit. I would either just use the zest from a bunch of fruit or halt fermentation chemically and add fresh juice when the beer is finished.

Well I know Flying Dog is doing a Blood Orange IPA and I wish I knew how they were adding the flavor.

Couldn't you just add the fruit to the secondary for a few days? I have done this with wheat beers, should work just as well for an IPA. maybe add some zest to the boil?

The Flying Dog website says they use blood orange peel (read: zest, no white part) and juice. The hops are Warrior, Citra, and Galaxy, and I figure that combo helps make it more citrusy.

I have gotten good orange flavor and aroma using zest in the last 5-10 minutes of the boil. One time I put 2 cups freshly squeezed Cara Cara orange juice at flameout in a 5-gallon Hitachino Nest white ale clone, but couldn't detect much orange from it. I didn't get vomit, though. I think increasing the amount would've helped give it more of a citrus tang.

What about halting fermentation, adding fresh juice to the keg and force carbing it?

I would look into using the essential oils available for cooking. Add at bottling or kegging

530853_3243324636293_522969313_n.jpg

Link to recipe below. My notes on how I processed the blood oranges are in the recipe notes.
http://hopville.com/recipe/1253915

Back