Boiling tap water before sparging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wagesgt903

Reaction score
Probably a dumb question but I have searched and cannot seem to find a definitive answer. This is only my third all grain batch and up until now have always bought gallon jugs of spring water for brewing. Its become a pain due to the extra water needed for all grain. Anyway pulled up my local tap water profile and everything seems in check to use it for brewing.

My question is do I need to boil the tap water before sparging or just bring up to strike temp and go with it?

You def need to gass off the chlorine. Or use cambden tablets if they use chloromine. I use local spring water,as I can get 7 gallons for $1.75.

Filter system it is. Gonna head to home depot now. Thanks for the input.

+1 to the filter. I boiled all of my tap water for many batches. It's a waste of energy and time. It added over an hour to my brew day. Just get a decent filter.

I only use tap water and simply bring it to temp and sparge. It really depends on your water.

Yep...why create more work for yourself, but boiling or camdeming your sparge, shortly after sparging, you're going to be boiling anyway. You don't think THAT's going to be achieving the same goals of boiling ahead of time?

That looks like a great system, thanks for posting.

Despite what it says, it does slightly slow the flow of water, but not like an on-faucet one does. Maybe by 30%. Otherwise, it's fantastic. My nasty city water tastes like... well... nothing now and the filters are good for 6 months.

For the price you can't beat the system listed. Home depots ge systems anywhere from 60-200 depending on filters.

Back