Lagering!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
I just brewed Revvy's Vienna Amber and everything came out great. As this is my first lager though, I have some questions. I have read that it is fine to pitch warm 70-75, let fermentation begin @ 65ish and then lower to 55 or so. That is my plan anyhow. I have a cooler and Johnson control set-up, so my temps will be fine. I am just wondering if I should even wait the 12~ hours for initial ferm. to begin or just go ahead and lower my temp 55? I want this beer to come out the best it can, so any advice would be welcomed.

P.S. I have searched and read many other threads on lagering, but I am just asking if my method will produce any unwelcome results. Again, any advice is good.

You'll get the very best results by waiting until your wort is at or below fermentation temperatures before pitching. The first day or two are key IMO for producing off flavors (or not), so you'll want to be in the proper fermentation temp range when your yeast get to work.

Pitch enough yeast (one vial/pack is not enough for a lager).
Pitch cool.
Aerate really well before pitching.

This is bad advice IMO. You wouldn't pitch an ale when it's at 90, so why pitch a lager when it's at 70.

I was just going by certain posts from here in the past. Pitch warm with cold yeast, but don't pitch cold with warm yeast. I pitched at about 74, but transferred to cooler at 65 right away. Like I said, I am going to wait until ferm. starts and then crank down to 55 (as per revvy's recipe) and go from there. Why are the opinions so different as to what temp to pitch lager yeast?

What yeast are you using? Crank your ferm chamber down to the lower end of the recommended range now, don't wait to see signs of fermentation.
I think the differing opinions are due to time, opinions have changed over the years. It was first accepted to pitch warm to make up for a low pitching rate (you'll get better growth at the warm temps but at the expense of off flavors).
Don't get me wrong, you'll get beer, perhaps great beer. You'll get even better beer with a proper pitch rate at proper temps. I agree with one thing, don't pitch warm yeast into cool wort, but for lagers that means pitching your 35 degree yeast into 45 degree wort and let it rise to ferm temps.
Lagers are supposed to be very very clean tasting, including the Vienna. Lager yeast throw esters at temps outside of their recommended ranges. It's best to pitch cold to minimize these esters.

Good luck. I would recommend dropping this one to temp ASAP. On the next one, pitch cold and compare for yourself.

Appreciate the help stone. I went ahead and dropped it to 54 just to be safe. Pitching it warm like I did should have gotten things off early anyway, so hopefully it will not throw the yeasties off with the temp change.

Well, the beer is fermenting just fine and it looks like a very healthy fermentation. It actually started more quickly than any of of my ales have. I am interested in knowing how some of you other guys lager your beer. Let's hear some techniques..... :)

Latest posts

Back