So I found a meat grinder that I want to mill grain with...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rutsah

Reaction score
And now I'm going to try it. Anyone else gone this route and if so what can I learn from you?

Search around would be my suggestion...while I remember it being done w/ success I believe, a meat grinder cuts the grain in pieces, rather than crushing it...post some pics of your results...I'm willing to bet you get beer fwiw...cheers!

today I ran out of milled grain and had to use the meat grinder. I had 8 pounds left so I need another 4 pounds before I can begin. First off I will say that it is great at grinding, it is destroying the grains to a greater degree than the grain mill I was using at my guru's house. There is a trade off to this awesome crush however and it is the amount of time it is taking to grind. Luckily I have kids so while one is outside making kindling for the fire the other is inside grinding away. I am taking turns with her but on average it is about 30 minutes to one pound of grain.
--------------------------------------------
Bottom line ^ I am buying a grain mill soon.

today I ran out of milled grain and had to use the meat grinder. I had 8 pounds left so I need another 4 pounds before I can begin. First off I will say that it is great at grinding, it is destroying the grains to a greater degree than the grain mill I was using at my guru's house. There is a trade off to this awesome crush however and it is the amount of time it is taking to grind. Luckily I have kids so while one is outside making kindling for the fire the other is inside grinding away. I am taking turns with her but on average it is about 30 minutes to one pound of grain.
--------------------------------------------
Bottom line ^ I am buying a grain mill soon.

FWIW...You don't want the grain destroyed. You want the husks to remain as intact as possible while exposing the endosperm.

You will most likely get a lot of astringency from the shredded husks.

Glad to hear you are jumping to a real mill soon. :mug:

I hope the effect wont be too pronounced due to it only being 1/3 of the grain but Ill let you know

the smaller than normal grindings clogged my false bottom and caused a 3.5 gallon batch. Dammit

Next time try a blender if you have no better means, put a cup or so in at a time and pulse the blender till most pieces are well broken but stop well short of all flour.

30 min. per lb...you are a determined man!

I once tried to use my squirrel meat grinder to mill grain, it didn't work out.

the beer to keg after 2 months of waiting and it is pretty darn good. Odd sweet flavor and brown in color, had to put it into secondary to get all the stuff to settle out but it came out much better than I hoped.

Still, I'm not doing it again- I bought a grain mill.

Back