One week primary fermenation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearded_brew

Reaction score
Howdy-
I brewed a dunkelweizen on the 28th of April, SG was 1.058. Past two days the SG has been 1.020. Is the consistent SG an indication that I can bottle, seems a bit quick? I would normally wait two weeks but I have been trying to go based on SG. Thanks.

E.t.h.

FG means gravity won't change but it doesn't mean your beer can't improve with a touch longer at ferm/room temps. I taste the beer and let it tell me when it's done. Most low-to-mid gravity ales, basic grain/hops bill are great after they hit true stable FG. I do tend to raise the temp a few degrees for a few days once I hit FG just to encourage the last bit of cleaning up, though.

To answer your question, though, I've had a few beers grain-to-glass in under 10 days, so it's possible...but always taste it first.

Wow that's only 7 days from pitching and your taking samples/readings?? Just let is sit 18-21 days and let clean up after itself, if you get consecutive FG readings over 2-3 days then bottle and you'll be golden..

Let her sit. I'm still new to brewing and I used to follow the Brooklyn brew shop method: two weeks primary, two week in bottle, drink. It works, but- I'm learning that the longer it sits, the better!

Start some ciders on the side to keep your brewing withdraw at bay!

fg means gravity won't change but it doesn't mean your beer can't improve with a touch longer at ferm/room temps. I taste the beer and let it tell me when it's done. Most low-to-mid gravity ales, basic grain/hops bill are great after they hit true stable fg. I do tend to raise the temp a few degrees for a few days once i hit fg just to encourage the last bit of cleaning up, though.

To answer your question, though, i've had a few beers grain-to-glass in under 10 days, so it's possible...but always taste it first.

+1

I normally package beers at 10-14 days old.

Once it's at FG, the beer will "clean up" a bit with the yeast still active. When they run out of fermentable sugars, they will go back and digest some of their own waste products. That takes about 24 hours or so after active fermentation ends.

Then the beer will start to clear. It depends on the yeast strain, but that may take anywhere for one day (for an English strain) to weeks (for a nonflocculant yeast).

A dunkelweizen never gets really clear, due to the yeast strain and the wheat in the recipe, but it should be clear of suspended debris and not look murky. Once it's to that point, whether it's day 8 or day 22, it's ready to bottle.

I bottled my Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter after 8 days in primary and 7 days in secondary. It tasted phenomenally and FG hasn't changed since day 5. I must have pitched just right! Can't wait to try it once it's carbonated :ban:

Back