Oak cubes soaked in jim beam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2BeerOrNot2Beer

Reaction score
I had some Jim beam lying around so I decided to soak about 1 oz of oak cubes in it. They've been soaking in it for about 3 months. I'm planning to add it to a barley wine. How long after I remove them from the Jim beam do I add them to 2.5 gallons of barley wine? I assume just adding them immediately after will add too much whiskey flavor.

I plan to let the barley wine age for 6 months before I add the cubes. How much longer should I let the cubes soak. I know it's kinda a guessing game that just requires some experimentation, but any advice based on people's experiences would be helpful. Thanks all.

J

The cubes should be added in secondary, after the beer has reached a confirmed FG. Just put the cubes in the secondary and rack on top of it. Over the 6 months of bulk aging the bourbon will mellow perfectly fine:)

I did the same thing but with okay chips...at nine months the beer tastes fantastic!

You can add the bourbon along with the oak cubes too if you want. It won't hurt anything...unless you don't want that much whiskey flavor.

Back