Summer Session Brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

100CPU

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Wyeast 1272
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @64
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days @ 68
Tasting Notes
Both are relatively low alcohol (5%) and easy drinking
I made both these brews back in April and served them to the adults at my daughter's birthday pool party. They went over really well (all of them are gone).

Mango Blonde Ale

8 oz Caramel 10L
4 oz Vienna
4 oz Carapils
Steeped @ 155 for 30 minutes

3 lbs Light DME 60 min
.25 oz Citra 30 min
.25 oz Citra 25 min
.25 oz Citra 20 min
3 lbs Light DME 15 min
.25 oz Citra 15 min
.25 oz Citra 10 min
.25 oz Citra 5 min
.50 oz Citra flame out
Wyeast 1272 American Ale II

Dry hopped with 1oz Citra for 7 days

Racked onto 8 cut up, pureed and frozen mangos for 7 days

Coconut Cream Ale

1 lb Flaked Corn
1 lb Carapils
8 oz Caramel 10L
8 oz 2 Row
Steeped @ 155 for 30 min

3 lbs Light DME 60 min
1 oz Liberty 60 min
2 lbs Light DME 15 min
1 oz Liberty 15 min
1 can coconut water at flame out

Racked into secondary (7 days) onto a sanitized weighted grain bag with 2 1/2 oz of toasted coconut that was frozen with 2 cut vanilla beans and 1 can of coconut water.

They both were enjoyed by everyone in attendence but the mango got a slight edge because the hop bitterness blended better with the mango than it did with the coconut. When I do these again I will do a partial mash for the cream ale to get better utilization of the corn and 2 row. I'll also toast the coconut for longer because the cream ale had no head. I assumed that would happen and it's why I used a ridiculous amount of carapils which did nothing to prevent it. I'd also scale back the Liberty to .5oz so the bitterness is reduced. Even with those minor criticisms it was well enjoyed. For the mango I'd probably start the hop burst at 20 min and maybe mix in some Nelson, Galaxy, or El Dorado just to see if it adds more of a tropical taste and throw in an additional mango or two even though they suck to prep. So far as a good sessionable beer for sitting by the pool or on the beach that will be enjoyed by both BMC and craft drinkers, these will work for you.

Just brewed these again three weeks ago for a fantasy football draft. Made a few changes to them. Started the hop additions on the mango at 20 minutes instead of 30 and did .50 oz at 20 and 5 instead of .25 oz. Also added 10 mangos this time and instead of doing a puree (which repeatedly clogged the hell out of my racking cane last time) I cut them into small chunks(which clogged only once). I also went with US-05 instead of 1272 because the LHBS was out of it. The gravity sample I tasted was smoother and the mango really backed up the Citra. For the coconut I did a partial mash with the grains to get more utilization from the corn and 2 row(which I went with 2 lbs this time). I also went with cluster hops and the White Labs Cream Ale yeast. I only did 2lbs of toasted coconut this time, making sure that I patted off all the oils after toasting. Again, the gravity sample tasted really good. Will post pics after their done bottle conditioning

Back