Washed Yeast Viability

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonlee063

Reaction score
I washed yeast for the 1st time yesterday. How can I tell if it is viable and doesn't have any wild yeast mixed in? Do I just have to wait until I make the starter? Just ensure that there is activity in the starter with no "funky" smells?

That's basically it, Jason.

If I'm at all concerned that my sanitation wasn't right, I would toss it. Not worth ruining a batch to save $8 on yeast, for me. If you are washing yeast, then I think you're wise in making a starter, to grow it. I no longer wash yeast, I do plan brew days to go from smaller to larger and use the smaller batch to build a big yeast cake of the strain I need for the big beer.

For example, I have cream ale in the fermenter now with Edinburgh yeast which I will use in a strong Scotch ale. For that, I don't make a starter - I just pour the yeast into a large sanitized Ball jar and will keep it in the fridge for up to a week and pitch it straight into the next batch.

OK- so last week I bottled my foreign stout and saved the yeast/trub hoping to wash and save it. BUT I put a paper towel as the lid with the ring of the canning jar and it has been sitting on the kitchen counter.

Would you keep and wash it to reuse? or have I passed the point of "proper storage"?

Back