A Day of Firsts...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forstmeister

Reaction score
Today was the first time I used a yeast starter- a 2L starter of Wyeast 1332 (Northwest Ale). Also the first time I have used Gypsum in the mash. Add in the first time I have used Irish Moss for clearing and I am excited to see how this beer turns out.

I have been brewing for over 2 years and I am tired of my beers being "alright." I want to make great beer, that's why I started this hobby. My recipe is below:

9 lbs 8 oz Northwestern Pale Ale Malt
2 lbs 8 oz Rye Malt
1 lb Crystal 15
8 oz Carapils

1 oz Chinook @ 60 min
0.5 Summit @ 15 min
1 oz Simcoe @ 5 min
1 oz Simcoe @ 0 min
2 oz Simcoe dryhop

And I will be done around 1:00 in the afternoon thanks to prepping some last night...Gonna be a good day (of firsts)

rgarry said:
Looks nice a nice grain bill

Efficiency took a huge hit due to the rye. Unfortunately my mash tun was maxed out and I didn't account for it. Sample tasted delicious at least.

Thats yeasts clears very well, looks like a tasty recipe.

I hope so. I am hoping that the yeast clearing well, plus the Irish Moss will make me not regret skipping secondary on this batch, and going straight to the keg. I always secondary because I like my beer nice and clean. I am hoping that I can get the same effect using Irish Moss and maybe letting it sit for just a couple extra days in primary. I don't really have a way to cold crash my primary unfortunately.

grats i like your choice of yeast. i made a red with it last month fermented at around 62, it was a perfect temp for that strain.

Glynn said:
grats i like your choice of yeast. i made a red with it last month fermented at around 62, it was a perfect temp for that strain.

That's good to hear. My basement is in the low to mid-60's this time of year.

A quick update (mostly for my record keeping purposes...)

This beer was kegged 5 days ago. I kept it at 30 psi for 24 hours, then purged and reset pressure to 12 psi. As of today (Friday) it is fully carbed and absolutely delicious. My only complaint is that the rye does not shine through strong enough for my taste, and that may be due to the fact that my mill barely touched the malted rye kernels. They are quite small and my efficiency took a huge hit due to that fact. I am not sure what to do about that since my mill is not adjustable.

A quick update (mostly for my record keeping purposes...)

This beer was kegged 5 days ago. I kept it at 30 psi for 24 hours, then purged and reset pressure to 12 psi. As of today (Friday) it is fully carbed and absolutely delicious. My only complaint is that the rye does not shine through strong enough for my taste, and that may be due to the fact that my mill barely touched the malted rye kernels. They are quite small and my efficiency took a huge hit due to that fact. I am not sure what to do about that since my mill is not adjustable.

A couple of things.

First, today is Thursday. While I wish it was Friday evening, and I didn't have to work at 5:45 AM tomorrow, that is not the case. :p

Ok, secondly, and a serious note- How about taking the rye separately, and then running it through the crusher twice since you can't reset your gap?

I find that both wheat and rye don't mill well at .037" where I have my crusher set for my default. I just run them through twice, or grab my feeler gauges and tighten the gap for the rye and wheat, and then put it back when I'm done.

Yooper said:
A couple of things.

First, today is Thursday. While I wish it was Friday evening, and I didn't have to work at 5:45 AM tomorrow, that is not the case. :p

Ok, secondly, and a serious note- How about taking the rye separately, and then running it through the crusher twice since you can't reset your gap?

I find that both wheat and rye don't mill well at .037" where I have my crusher set for my default. I just run them through twice, or grab my feeler gauges and tighten the gap for the rye and wheat, and then put it back when I'm done.

Well shoot, it is Thursday. I have Friday off so it feels like Friday night to me! Actually, the keg has only been on gas for 72 hours now that I think about it. I followed your advice on quick carbing by setting it higher for 24 hours and purging.

I will try double grinding but I'm not holding much hope for a huge improvement since I can't adjust my mill.

Corona style mills are cheap and can be adjusted quite fine. You could easily justify one if you intend to continue doing beers with rye or wheat (another small, hard kernel).

25518 said:
What would Gypsum before?

Gypsum can help to bring out the bitterness of the hops if the water profile is lacking. I can't be sure if it worked since the Simcoe dry hopping is very powerful.

Back