How to use a freshly empty red wine barrel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanuki1212

Reaction score
Just got word that i can get some freshly used red wine barrels from Siam winery. They are 220 liters and have just been drained of wine recently. Im wondering if anyone has any tips on how to use one for ageing beer or any style suggestions?
Too big to fit in my cooler so it might have to live in my bedroom with AC on...
Is fermenting in the barrel advisable or should i only age in it?
If anyone one wants one they are 6000 baht or 200$ and available in Bangkok~

any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Of course you can ferment in it, but it is much more common to use them for long term aging of finished beer. For aging you need to fill it up completly. Most brewers also top the barrels up when needed due to evaporation.

As for the barrels, I just try and do a smell test on them now. If is smells like the previous contents, you should be in pretty good shape. If it smells bad or funky, pass on it.

I have had some really great porters that were aged in red wine barrels. Dark malts will hold up to the tannins that come from the barrel. The other route would be a belgian style like a flanders red or maybe an oud bruin.

Back