Minimal carb after 4 months in bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDJay

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Belgian wit bier extract kit that I got final gravity of 1.016 after 3 weeks in primary. (OG 1.051) Used 5 oz priming sugar. Bottle conditioned for two weeks at 67 degrees, sampled, then moved to 72 degrees after minimal carb at initial sample. I did swirl each bottle to re-suspend yeast. Now 4 months out, carb level unchanged. There is a little hiss with opening, but very little carb. So today I am going to add a little yeast and recap. Any thoughts on how much to add? It tastes fine, just minimal carb.

I find my beers have little carb if I don't put them in the refrigerator for at least a day. Another thing is if your pouring down the side of the glass with it tipped you won't see much head. I read on here, to pour in the middle of the glass and now I usually need two glasses to empty a 12 ounce bottle.

How I poured didn't affect it. So today I made a slurry with a little bit of dry yeast in 3 ounces of water and added 10 drops from a sanitized syringe to each bottle and recapped. I put the bottles in a big Tupperware tub and covered. Condition at 71 degrees for a couple of weeks and see what happens. I didn't add sugar, as I did use recommended amount at bottling time. Will post results. Thanks for help.

No problem. I've never had a carb problem. I do struggle with keeping my bottles above 60 in the winter here. I have actually have to move them near the fireplace while they are carbing. I hope this works out for you.

Couldn't resist a "carb check". Nearly 2 weeks at ~72 degrees, carbonation a little better, but no head and still not a normal carb level.

That sucks. Hopefully somebody else can give you better advice. I really don't have any experience with no carbonation, just what I've read on here.

4 weeks from yeast addition. Carbonation noticeably better- even had a little head for awhile. Not great, but makes it much easier to drink. I am still not sure where I went wrong. I used dry yeast without making a starter for this witbier. All my subsequent brews I have used a Wyeast smack pack and have had no issues.:tank:

Latest posts

Back