Sour banana wine? Bottling in about 30 minutes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonofgrok

n00basaurus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I have a banana wine (my first banana wine) that I am prepping to bottle this morning. After transferring to the bottling bucket, I took a sip and it is strongly sour. It is not really like an infected sour just very sour.

Its been in the secondary for 6 months.

To be honest I don't really remember how I made the wine. There were a ton of bushels of bananas. I pureed them in the food processor about half peeled and half not. Added a couple cups of sugar. OG was out of the question because of all the solids. And pitched yeast... maybe Montrachet, maybe EC1118. Most likely the EC1118. Primary was 3-4 weeks.

I have never had to toss a batch of anything but is this even worth bottling and wasting the corks?

sonofgrok said:
So I have a banana wine (my first banana wine) that I am prepping to bottle this morning. After transferring to the bottling bucket, I took a sip and it is strongly sour. It is not really like an infected sour just very sour.

Its been in the secondary for 6 months.

To be honest I don't really remember how I made the wine. There were a ton of bushels of bananas. I pureed them in the food processor about half peeled and half not. Added a couple cups of sugar. OG was out of the question because of all the solids. And pitched yeast... maybe Montrachet, maybe EC1118. Most likely the EC1118. Primary was 3-4 weeks.

I have never had to toss a batch of anything but is this even worth bottling and wasting the corks?

Do not pitch it. Take a sample and sweeten it. See if the sugar balanced out the sourness.

4 cups sugar and some cinnamon in the 5 gallon batch (hello sugar carbs) seems to have made it drinkable. I guess I'll go ahead and bottle it and see how time treats it.

4 cups sugar and some cinnamon in the 5 gallon batch (hello sugar carbs) seems to have made it drinkable. I guess I'll go ahead and bottle it and see how time treats it.

It sounds infected with lactobacillus. Watch for bottle bombs.

Hopefully you stabilized it before you sweetened it- if not, do NOT bottle!

Is there any chance you degassed? Its still prety young, I know nanner clears fast but that does not mean its ready to bottle. WVMJ

It sounds infected with lactobacillus. Watch for bottle bombs.

Hopefully you stabilized it before you sweetened it- if not, do NOT bottle!

Used potassium sorbate and metabisulfate... on the lower end though...

Hopefully if it does pressurize it will push the corks out instead of bottle bombs? I usually do really dry wines with no back sweetening. I will crack a bottle in a couple days to check.

Is there any chance you degassed? Its still prety young, I know nanner clears fast but that does not mean its ready to bottle. WVMJ

I was planning on bottle aging it longer but I as expecting it to be better at this stage with room for improvement.

So I decided to dump all the bottles yesterday but didn't get around to it. This morning POP goes the weasel. Bottle ejected cork and pour/sprayed banana concoction all over the brew room. Do you ever tire of being right Yooper?

So I decided to dump all the bottles yesterday but didn't get around to it. This morning POP goes the weasel. Bottle ejected cork and pour/sprayed banana concoction all over the brew room. Do you ever tire of being right Yooper?

Damn, I sure wish I was wrong about that. Darn it!

Latest posts

Back