Compacting of trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saunassa

One Life Brewing #lifeistooshortforcrappybeer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I made a 1 gallon smash, fermented in a one gallon jar. This was made with malt extract and I was surprised how much trub and it did not pack down like in big fermenter. Due to this I only drew off a 6 pack because I wanted clear beer.
I have not seen this doing 5 gallon batches so I am wondering if the quantity/ weight of 5 gallons of wort makes a nice compact trub/yeast cake.

I usually get 8-9 bottles from a gallon batch (all grain).
A mini auto siphon with a cap on the bottom allows me to get almost all of the clear beer into my bottling vessel.

Batch size does not impact flocculation. That depends mainly in the yeast....
Pick a yeast with high flocculation if you want a compact cake.
Make sure your brewing water has an adequate amount of calcium, which encourages flocculation.

Here's 5 oz of a culture. The cake is thin and very compact. It may be hard to tell from the photo but the liquid is crystal clear.
15597037924309101330510829106704.jpg

I strongly advise against cold crashing unless you have a method to prevent oxygen getting into the fermenter. Otherwise you'll have oxidized beer.
As it cools, the liquid and air shrink, creating low pressure. This causes the airlock liquid and/or air too be sucked into the fermenter, commonly called "suckback".
There are some solutions to this, like using a balloon filled with carbon dioxide.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Was us-05 and had floculated. Since I made this during my lunch break using DME i only did a 15 minute boil. Maybe that influenced it? When I used lme, dme and specialty grains in a pale ale I have not experienced that.

Back