Sanitizing in Advance?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Incoerenza86

Reaction score
Hi there,

Tomorrow I will bottle my second batch.
Quick question, can I sanitize the bottles and caps now even though I will be bottling the brew tomorrow? Thanks

Are you using Star San? If so, I believe this it is only effective as long as the items are still wet. I would recommend waiting until you're closer to your bottling time before santizing them. The longer you leave santized items exposed to the elements, the bigger the chance of bacteria, dust, wayward unicorns, etc...infecting your beer.

You can definitely clean them in the near term, just sanitize them right before you bottle. When I bottle there's still a bit of starsan foam in my bottles - which the yeast in the beer end up munching on once capped.

No. Sanitizing removes microbes. It doesn't prevent microbes for the next 24 hours. Sanitizing now means that your equipment is clean and safe. Now. It won't be twenty minutes from now much less a *day* from now.

Back