Dry hopping + cold crash/gelatin - Timing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kombat

Reaction score
I like to give all my beers a 2 day cold crash and a 4-day gelatin treatment. But I'm a little confused about how best to schedule it when dry-hopping.

I know that dry hopping should be limited to 7-10 days at most. But is the dry-hopping effect halted once cold-crashed?

That is, if I dry hop for 7 days, then do a 2-day cold crash and give gelatin another 4 days to work, have I eliminated the risk of "over-dry-hopping" (vegetal/grassy flavours)? Or am I still at risk (since the hops are in contact with the wort for 13 days)?

Should I dry hop, then wait maybe 1 day, then immediately start my cold-crashing/gelatin regimen? Or would that be short-changing my dry-hopping?

A third option would be to dry hop for the 7 days, then rack to a new carboy before starting cold-crashing and gelatin.

Opinions?

I only dry hop for about 3 days. As ive seen on here that anything longer than that really doesnt help and could eventually lead to those "grassy" tastes. Dry hop in a hop/muslim bag and then remove it when you start your cold crash/gelatin procedure.

Back