Blichmann Burner help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pratzie

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So given the nice weather I decided to test out my new burner and keggle.

Put in 6 gallons to see how long it would take to get to various strike temps and then bring to a rolling boil. Wanted to also see how much would evaporate after a 60 and 90 minute boil. Problem is, the flame kept going out and it wasn't all that windy.

I watched the youtube video and it said u don't have to turn the regulator all the way on but adjust the damper flow and get the flames to the nice blue color.

It went out three times before I turned the regulator up almost all the way. All in all it took me 1:38 from 48 degree water to boiling.

Any advice on how to tweak this? Im hoping I don't have a regulator issue but after all the good things I've heard about Blichmann, I was expecting a bit more. There's also some soot build up on the burner itself and I know that isn't supposed to be the case.

How does everyone else get there burner ready?

Sounds like the safety valve on the propane tank got tripped.
I can go from 60F to boiling in about 45 minutes with my Blichmann.

There actually isn't much of any safety valve in current propane tanks, but there is an excessive-flow shut-off valve in the ACME nut. You can see it in this (pretty cool, imo) cross-section diagram, it's a spring-loaded ball towards left of center.
6895952-0-large.jpg

I'm still using the originally supplied 0-10psi regulators with my two Blichmanns. There isn't any intrinsic issue there.

Otherwise, if the tank temperature drops low enough the gas pressure available to the burner will be compromised, often to the point that the burner won't stay lit (a frosted tank valve would be a dead give-away). If the OP can rule that out, then it's pretty much down to a duff regulator...

Cheers!

Way too long. I havent timed mine precisely but I can boil 15 gals in about 20 minutes. Watch the flame. It should not seperate from the burner. Play with the air dampner, open it until the flame just starts to pull away from the burner, then close it slowly until it is only about 1/16" away. At this point the flame should be mostly blue. If this doesnt work, there is a problem with your setup. I have brewed on fairly windy days and have never had the flame blow out.

Back