Lifespan for yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodesbrew

Reaction score
I washed and jarred up about 6 mason jars of yeast back in November and kept it in the fridge. Still good for a yeast starter? It was White Labs 0005...

Stepped starters are multiple starters made with same yeast.
eg. you pitch 100 B cells in 1 L of wort to get ~240 B, then cold crash and decant it and pitch into 2 L to achieve ~520 B of cells etc..

try this:
http://yeastcalc.com/

i'll bet the yeast is just waking up. if you are so inclined you might want to let it go just to give you an idea of how long it will take the next mason jar of yeast to get going. i've used 6-8 month old saved yeast in a beer with out a starter and it worked just fine.

i'll bet the yeast is just waking up. If you are so inclined you might want to let it go just to give you an idea of how long it will take the next mason jar of yeast to get going. I've used 6-8 month old saved yeast in a beer with out a starter and it worked just fine.

+1

Back