Forgot to stir priming solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dudest

Reaction score
I was racking into the bottling buck and had about 1 gallon in there when my wife poures in the dextrose. I siphoned in the rest and forgot to stir it am screwed?

Probably not. It usually mixes pretty well on its own. The only time I've had stratification is if using a hop-bag to filter, which prevents good whirlpooling motion.

99% sure you'll be just fine...especially b/c you added sugar to the beer (as opposed to beer to sugar)

I've never actually stirred it. As long as most of the beer remains to be racked I've always found that it mixes pretty well (granted, I just had my first ever bottle bomb yesterday, so take it for what it's worth).

It's good to first pour in priming solution, wrap your siphon hose a bit along the bottom of bottling bucket (or I bottle from kettle but either way) and allow the beer to swirl, integrating the beer into the priming solution. No stir.

I don't stir, but I do add 1/2 the priming solution to the empty keg/bottling bucket, and then the rest once I've racked half of the beer in. That being said, my first couple brews I definitely didn't stir, or do anything besides adding all the priming sugar to the bucket and then racking on top. Those beers carbed up just as well as the future brews. You should be a-ok, just make sure you give the beers a couple weeks to carb up!

For my very first batch, I didn't stir the solution. The result was that the bottles that were filled early were heavily over-carbed (I actually had 5 of them explode). The later bottles were barely carbed at all. It all depends on how much motion your racking process creates, I guess. Mine apparently didn't swirl the brew at all. After that first batch, I always stirred it and also added it little bits at a time through the entire racking process. Then, I started kegging and I don't have to worry about that any longer.

The bottom line is, you "might" be fine. My first batch had the sugar solution at the bottom, and I added the beer to it. Since you waited a bit before adding the sugar, it might be ok. But I would still be a bit careful for possible bottle bombs.

My concern with stirring would be oxygenating the beer. Is that an issue, or is stirring gentle enough to avoid that?

It will be 2 weeks on Sunday I should have drank all of them by the following Sunday. I will report back then so that some other dummy forgets to stir they can refer back to my ineptitude. Oh and Pampers oops I mean Pappers I cant let you get away with that comment lol dont treat people like a diaper:)

No problems not perfect but pretty good a couple were a little over carbed next time a gental stir.

Back