cold crashing & bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leftcoastbrewer

Reaction score
some of my batches i have been cold crashing & some i haven't.... but it seems that a few brews came out flat that i cold crashed & then bottled. i am pretty sure i had the priming sugar in solution right.

my question is: does cold crashing take too many yeasts out of the beer before bottling it therefore not leaving enough yeast to produce the CO2?

I don't think that is the reason, you only need 1-3 millions of cells / ml and there is much more than that no matter did you cold crash or not.
I would search for another reasons like storage temperature, amount of sugar, caps...

Are you letting the beer warm back up before you bottle? Anytime I've bottled cold beer, the priming sugar doesn't mix with the beer well.

Are you letting the beer warm back up before you bottle? Anytime I've bottled cold beer, the priming sugar doesn't mix with the beer well.

This is exactly what I was going to point out. Priming sugar doesn't mix well with cold beer.

I would cold crash for a few days, then let the beer warm back up to room temp for a day before priming and bottling.

I have never had trouble with bottling beer that I took out of cold crash. It might take a day or two longer since it will not start carbing until the beer warms up but other than that no problems.

I bottle right out of cold crash. I just make sure to give it a gentle but thorough stir with a sanitized spoon after adding the priming sugar solution.

i talked to my buddies at the LHBS and they seem to think its the same issue with stirring.... i am ultra conservative when i comes to sanitation & i never think of mixing when i add sugar solution because of risk of infection, instead i place the racking tube next to the run off from the carboy, hoping that mixed it up enough.... but my buddies said to stir after every five bottles so the heavy sugars don't fall to the bottom of the bucket....... this is probably the case considering the first batch i took to a local winery, to impress the owner, was extra carbonated and wouldn't stop bubbling out of the bottle for 10 minutes even thou the rest of the bottles were perfectly carbonated. seems to be a consistency issue

My fermenter and priming container have taps on them. I join them together with a pipe and rack from the fv onto the sugar solution in the priming container.
The flow of beer creates a small whilpool and mixes the sugar very well. I do not stir.
Mostly I bottle at cold crash temperature and never have carbonation issues.

Back