planted two rhizomes of wilamette in different buckets, look different?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RachmaelBenApplebaum

Reaction score
Like the title says I planted two willamette rhizomes I ordered from northern brewer. They're both growing great but in one of the pots the leaves on the bines are broad kinda like strawberries and the other one has no broad leaves at all and look more like, well, cannabis. Is this a gender difference? or did I just get two different varieties than came accidentally in the same bag labeled "Wilamette". I know pictures would help but I'm short on time, I can get pictures soon(tomorrow or something).

Good question. I'm a first-time hop grower and I've noticed that the leaves on the three different kinds of rhyzomes I planted this spring look different. My Cascade rhyzome has leaves that look like something Cheech and Chong would smoke, but the leaves on my Willamette rhyzome are skinnier -- longer and narrower. The leaves on my Sterling hops are broad and look something like a strawberry plant.

It would be interesting to know if different strains of hops usually have different leaf shapes or if this is just something that happens with young plants and the leaves become more uniform as the plants mature.

My experience is that the leaves will often start out looking like strawberry leaves, then split into more "prongs" as they mature. It might just be a difference in leaf maturity.

I looked around and there seem to be a few theories. The weird thing is the leaves that are five-fingered and slender and younger but also look nothing like the broad ones...I know this is useless without pics, will get them in the morning.

Back