I want to cry :smh:

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xfevv

Reaction score
I brewed up my first all grain batch today. Really excited about it, it's an IPA recipe a buddy created that is fantastic. Unfortunately it's an expensive beer $75. Just got finished brewing and was ready to pitch my yeast only to discover my thermometer somehow broke in my fermentation bucket. Called my LHBS and they recommended stringing the beer through some cheese cloth to catch any glass. I'd did and I'm pretty confident I got it all but hard to know for sure.

So frustrating

The glass is the least of your problems. It probably won't get through the siphon when you rack to your bottling bucket, as it will be in the trub. Did the thermometer have any lead/steel BBs in it? They might be an issue. When my thermometer broke I was left with a "rusty" tasting beer. Drinkable, but not great.

I was able to get those out since they sank to the bottom pretty quick. I siphoned to another sanitized bucket using a filter. Lost about a gallon of beer though

I'm sure it will work out. I think homebrewers have a saying for this type of thing, if only I could remember what it was... :cross:

I'd be more concerned that you're spending $75 on an all-grain batch. There must be a lot of hops in that beast. Buying in bulk is one of the best parts of brewing all-grain. I did a cream ale recently that came in at about $13, and my last batch was an IPA with a hearty hop-bill and belgian candi sugar that still came in under $30. I'm not trying to criticize -- just sayin'.

Yeah very hop heavy, about 8oz Citra, 2oz Amarillo and 1oz Nugget (total of about $22 right there). Hurts the wallet which is why this was so frustrating. Hopefully as I start doing more all grain and buying in bulk it will cheapen out

Yeah very hop heavy, about 8oz Citra, 2oz Amarillo and 1oz Nugget (total of about $22 right there). Hurts the wallet which is why this was so frustrating. Hopefully as I start doing more all grain and buying in bulk it will cheapen out

And kick whatever goofball put a thermometer in the wort! That's just asking for trouble, and it's not surprising it broke.

Tell them they can check the temperature, once, with the theromometer in their hand and that's it. There is never any reason for a thermometer to be in the wort/boil and it's probably going to break if it's left in there. (And tell him he owes you $75).

No other idiot to blame but myself ;) trying to do too many things at the same time

Just say no to glass thermometers and get a stainless steel dial type or digital with a metal probe.

I agree with the comments about glass thermometers, use it only as a last resort or to calibrate other ones. They are nothing but trouble and too slow to reach temps anyway.
As far as your beer goes.....and this is just me......I won't drink or eat anything I think might have glass in it..period.
I knew a guy that ingested glass in food once, perforated his stomach linning and ended up in ER with stomach acid in his abdominal cavity.......not trying to scare anyone...just saying is all.

I feel your pain. After brewing 5 gallons of pumpkin pie ale my brother in law accidentally broke the carboy spilling all of our labor across his kitchen floor. Kinda bummed out.

I had a glass thermometer break and the pellets fall into the wort. After cycling through the plate chiller and primary and secondary and kegging....I don't even remember which beer it was and never saw any remnants of it again. Whatever beer it was is long finished and the keg washed and reused.

Had the same thing happen - broken thermometer at the end of the boil. I left a gallon at the bottom of the kettle, strained it through a strainer from the pot, then strained again from primary to secondary. Turned out good though. Only use a dial thermometer now when chilling.

sounds like someone needs to start buying hops by the lb

Am I just being overly cautious in saying I would dump the batch no matter how expensive of a batch it was? No matter how small the chance I don't want to risk ingesting glass or lead.

Any thoughts on a inferred instant read thermometer?

I bought one pretty early on in my brewing experience because I had a Lowes gift card and wanted a nice thermometer. It works okay, but really you still need a second thermometer to be sure of your mash temps, as the infrared thermometers only read the surface temp, and won't work as well on refletective or clear materials. That makes getting your strike water right on the money can be tricky since the water is clear, and most brew kettles are somewhat reflective. Also, steam can really mess with them.

One method that I found helped get a little bit more stable temperature for strike water is to put something like a plastic/silicone spoon/spatula in the water, and take the reading off the surface of that when it is submerged underwater.

I calibrated mine once, and found that it had been reading about 4* too hot for awhile too. I can adjust for it, but it loses a little bit of precision when doing that sort of thing. I let my brother borrow it to check out some cold spots in his house, and I didn't have it for my last 2 brews and only used my ol' stainless steel analog-dial thermometer, and it was probably a little easier that way, even though it isn't instant-read.

Thermapens sound nice, and if you are thinking of spending the kind of money a good infrared costs you might want to go that route as it works better for brewing. People swear by them, I have never used one, but I am a pretty cheap guy. If I hadn't had a Lowes gift card and wanted something that I can also use around the house, I would have never stopped using my analog thermometer probably.

Get an accurate digital thermo and/or a dial thermometer.
CDN Proaccurate model is about $16 on Amazon and other sites.

The cheap IR thermos are convenient but not accurate enough for mash temps.

I bought a stainless steel thermometer from my LHBS for about $12 i use it for every boil.

I broke a thermometer into a batch of beer once. Didn't do a damn thing about it. If trub and dry hops settle out, glass and stainless steel will too. I gave that batch of IIPA a nice long primary, then a decent secondary before kegging it. Came out great.

FYI for anyone stumbling across this thread: the little balls in the bottom of your thermometer are steel, not lead, and the liquid inside is alcohol, not mercury. It's safe to drink the beer.

Latest posts

Back