Brewing a new American amber recipe today!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I wanted a rich malty caramelly amber, but with a hoppy nose of American hops. I wanted a red color (so I can call it an American red). I'm brewing this now (10 gallons):

12 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 5 68.1 %
2 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 6 11.3 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Carared (Weyermann) (24.0 SRM) Grain 7 8.5 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 75L (75.0 SRM) Grain 8 5.7 %
1 lbs Wheat - White Malt (2.3 SRM) Grain 9 5.7 %
2.0 oz Chocolate Malt (Simpsons) (430.0 SRM) Grain 10 0.7 %

2.00 oz Centennial [11.90 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 11 27.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade Leaf [9.10 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 12 7.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [11.90 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 13 4.6 IBUs
2.00 oz Cascade Leaf [9.10 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 14 0.0 IBUs

I'm using Denny's Favorite 1450 yeast.

I've been using hopbursting a lot, and I think this will be something that Bob will really like. I'm mashing at 152, and anticipate a FG of 1.010-1.012. The mash smells great!

That looks good! Will you be dryhopping that? I think 1-1.5 oz. dryhopping would be a nice touch. That's what I usually do with my hoppier ambers or reds. A little Amarillo might be nice for the dryhop.

That looks good! Will you be dryhopping that? I think 1-1.5 oz. dryhopping would be a nice touch. That's what I usually do with my hoppier ambers or reds. A little Amarillo might be nice for the dryhop.

Yes, I think dryhopping is in the forecast! But I didn't think about amarillo- that would really make the citrusy flavors pop. I was just thinking of being boring with centennial/cascade for the dryhop.

Great to see someone actually brewing an Amber, it seems to be the red-headed stepchild (pardon the pun) of home brewing.

Just last night I enjoyed a pint of my Centennial AAA and plan to enjoy, er, several more tonight!

Yes, I think dryhopping is in the forecast! But I didn't think about amarillo- that would really make the citrusy flavors pop. I was just thinking of being boring with centennial/cascade for the dryhop.

I would seriously consider it. I bet it would be a great addition to what looks like a great recipe. Although I am sure sticking with centennial and cascade would taste great too.

Hoppy ambers just might be my favorite style of beer. Don't get me wrong, I love a good dry IPA, but the rich maltiness of an amber is so satisfying. Then throw in C-hops? Heavenly.

This one looks awesome!. A touch of Amarillo in the DH sounds awesome, really round out the citrus.

Our house ale is an Amber. I tend to shun American hops these days (bad grapefruit experience!) so I finished with Saaz. I've never used that yeast though, I've been making ours with the Pacific Ale which I really like. I might have to try that.

Interesting use of the Chocolate, I'll be interested to hear how it comes out.

I wanna be retired!

I used Special B for the red in the Red I now have on tap. That and a little rye made for a tasty brew. Also used Denny's to bring out the malt character.

You can be retired, too! You just to accept being broke. When I was earning money, I didn't have much time. Now, I have tons of time but little money. :cross:

I actually picked up the special B today, and thought about it. Then I went with the crystal 75L, and a couple of ounces of chocolate for color. Now I'm wishing I would have used the darn special B!

Our house ale is an Amber. I tend to shun American hops these days (bad grapefruit experience!) so I finished with Saaz. I've never used that yeast though, I've been making ours with the Pacific Ale which I really like. I might have to try that.

Interesting use of the Chocolate, I'll be interested to hear how it comes out.

I'm still in love with all the C-hops. The hops I'm using today are a mix of homegrown and commercial. My 2012 cascades aren't as aromatic as I'd like, but they are still good so I use them with some commercial hops. My centennials are good, but I have less of them.

I use the Denny's yeast quite a bit, even for IPAs sometimes. I also use it for my oatmeal stout. I really like it.

My next recipe on the books is basically a highly hopped American Amber that I'm calling Red Zombie. I'm using Chinook and Cascade.

I'd love to see how this one turns out for you, can't go wrong with that recipe.

What do you know about Cara-red malt? Is it similar to Munich, just darker?
My recipe is
76% 2-row
13% Munich
4% C-60
4% C-80
2% CaraRed
1% Special B

I have an American Amber on tap now. I too wanted a rich caramelly hoppy beer, but I also brewed an IPA cause I knew I'd want that sooner or later too.

I'm loving the Amber right now though. Makes a nice counterpart to the cream ale that sits next to it.

I don't have my recipe in front of me, but I think I used crystal 77, and I think the hops were Amarillo and Centennial. I'll have to pull up my brewsheet at home. My Beersmith doesn't have that recipe on my work computer.

I made an African Amber clone today to replace my favorite Amber I have ever made. It was Papazian's Claude of Neptune. All Munich base with his normal smattering of 6 specialty malts. Noble hops throughout but .5 oz of Simcoe at flameout and dry hopped with Crystal. It is seriously a must brew if you enjoy Ambers at all!

What do you know about Cara-red malt? Is it similar to Munich, just darker?
My recipe is
76% 2-row
13% Munich
4% C-60
4% C-80
2% CaraRed
1% Special B

Carared is a crystal malt- about 20(?) L but with a distinct red color.

My hydrometer sample (OG 1.050) was beautiful but a bit cloudy. Then I realized I forgot the whirlfloc! :drunk: It's a nice red color, about 11-12 SRM.

My hydrometer sample (OG 1.050) was beautiful but a bit cloudy. Then I realized I forgot the whirlfloc! :drunk: It's a nice red color, about 11-12 SRM.
I did the same thing last batch - I think I might try some isinglass just to be snooty but I'm sure gelatin would be fine.

I finish nearly all my Ambers with Saaz, the flavour and aroma just go so nicely with C-hops. The exception was my next-to-most-recent which was Centennial-only since I couldn't get Cascade or Saaz. It's a perfectly nice beer, but a bit one-dimensional in terms of hop character.

Lesson learned. My latest I call Alt-Bertan Amber since it started as an Alaskan Amber clone, then morphed to include some Munich and use WY1007, fermented very cool to make it a little North German Alt-ish, but instead of German Pils, using 2-row native to my home province of Alberta, hence the funny name!

Back