Connecting two minis together for ferm chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tugbucket

Reaction score
I can get a working mini-fridge for cheap. I can also get a non working mini for basically the cost of me going to pick it up. The idea being that I could cut a ole in the sides and run some insulated duct between the two. I have plenty of computer fans around to help pull the air through.

I've seen people talk about being careful when converting a mini-fridge for taps and that the top of these things have plumbing in them. Do the sides? If they do, what woudl be the best place to connect duct between them.

Yea, I could just use the working one, remove the door and build an insulated chamber but, mmm free.

I would think you would either have to have two ducts (side by side arrangement) so that there is a cold air return, or have one duct and stack them, so that the cold air sinks down to the bottom one. Either one probably will not work as well as you think. I would imagine that those are designed to just barely work enough to keep it cold. Essentially doubling the surface area for heat to enter, plus the heat entering into the duct would make the temp rise substantialy, if not overwork the compressor.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/side-side-refers-394216/

Reposting what I said there:

From what I've read in the various Kegerator build threads here cutting into the side is a VERY risky procedure. While some units have no cooling lines in the top they ALL have lines in the side. Cutting or even just nicking one will turn your fridge into curb fodder.

I've seen some people here have done it, but you really can't use power tools. You need to slowly and carefully cut into the wall and clear the insulation by hand to find a clear path through the wall.

That being said, if your dead one and your new one are the same model, you can do exploratory on the dead one to see where the lines are. Otherwise... I'd be hesitant to do it.

Cut your duct hole in the non-working one, if you hit plumbing no loss because it wasn't working anyways. If you don't hit plumbing then you know where to cut on the working unit.

Cut your duct hole in the non-working one, if you hit plumbing no loss because it wasn't working anyways. If you don't hit plumbing then you know where to cut on the working unit.

Maybe not. If he was going to butt them side-to-side, cutting a hole in the right panel of the left fridge doesn't guarantee there won't be a tube running under the left panel of the right fridge...

Cheers!

With the non working unit there is no issue as you know. When I did my keggerator I used a dremel and cut only the sheet metal and exposed the inside where I was going to mount the taps.. then I ran a through the foam to make sure there were no lines running through. Luckily I found nothing. I then pulled the hooks off of a wall mount coat hanger, bored out for the shanks, and mounted that whole thing over the exposed insulation.

Since you are just running duct between the 2 you could cut out the metal carefully, then chip away the foam gently till you reach the interior plastic. If you find tubbing, just leave it, it wont hurt nothin.

Back