Star San in the UK

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seriousbeef

Reaction score
It's well regarded here that tap water, with or without boiling has high alkalinity. I would like to take a pH test, but I haven't any strips, and it's common knowledge.
Simply put, I would like to cast aside a batch of water for sanitizing, but as you well know, Star San doesn't like alkaline's. Just wondering what chems you would recommend to treat the water to get it to a reasonable pH / ppm for Star San to be effective?

Also, yes, I know about RO water, and no, I'd prefer to treat my own than go out and break my back carrying water about!!

Cheers guys:tank:

Distilled/spring/RO water is likely to be your best/cheapest/simplest option in this situation. I store my Star San in one-gallon bottles anyway, so it's no extra work lugging it about.

Interesting. That will make a good read. I was considering gypsum or carbonate reducing solution. However I am unsure of the ratios!

Back