Rotten orange taste to hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ondori

Reaction score
So, we brewed a hefe like 2 weeks ago, and my friend decided he would peel 3 fresh oranges and toss the peels in the fermenter. We tasted a sample the other day, and I thought it tasted like rotten oranges. It tasted how an orange would smell after it has fallen from the tree and laid on the floor for a long time. Not something I really want to drink lol has this happened to anyone else? Could this issue clear with time, or are we just stuck with rotten orange hefe? Mmmm lol

If you use citrus peels or zest its best to leave as much of the pith (white sub layer) behind. This layer is usually blamed for contributing bitterness but it could be the cause of the off flavor

If you use citrus peels or zest its best to leave as much of the pith (white sub layer) behind. This layer is usually blamed for contributing bitterness but it could be the cause of the off flavor

That could be it. There was tons of pith on it. Just peeled with his gloved hands, and tossed them in. Poor poor beer. Hopefully it mellows out and tastes better with time.

Sampled this again last night, a week later, and the rotten orange taste that I got the week before had now gone away. I could definitely taste the orange, but it wasn't like a fresh, crisp flavor, or unpleasant. Drinkable, but I think I will defintely do things differently next time. No pith and more zest. Might add some to the end of the boil as well.

Back