slow start to mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ender416

Reaction score
just made my first batch of mead. 1 gallon batch with 1 quart of honey .5 gal of water and the rest honeycrisp apple juice. i used champagne yeast because i want it to finish kind of dry, but I just realized I made a super rookie mistake and didnt hydrate my yeast. i just dumped half the packet in dry and shook the bottle for about 5 minutes. im wondering if this will be a problem

ender416 said:
just made my first batch of mead. 1 gallon batch with 1 quart of honey .5 gal of water and the rest honeycrisp apple juice. i used champagne yeast because i want it to finish kind of dry, but I just realized I made a super rookie mistake and didnt hydrate my yeast. i just dumped half the packet in dry and shook the bottle for about 5 minutes. im wondering if this will be a problem

You'll be fine, you might not see activity as soon, but fine, just fine. Dry, but just fine. Are you relieved now? Lol

yes relieved. how long do you think because i waited overnight and nothing has happened yet. if nothing happens in 24 hours should i start over or give it more time

ender416 said:
yes relieved. how long do you think because i waited overnight and nothing has happened yet. if nothing happens in 24 hours should i start over or give it more time

What is the temp? If the yeast is viable it'll start soon, be patient, you have some time before you get to taste that one.

Just wondering if anyone has ever tried tossing in some peppermint during fermentation/conditioning to aim for a cooling bite to their mead... Was thinking this might be an interesting twist of flavor.

Latest posts

Back