JayBird 15" keggle false bottom & Barley Crusher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docon86

Reaction score
so i finally got my herms electric brewery set up and running. i done about 4 batches with it but every time i get a semi stuck mash, it starts fine for about five minutes then the stream starts to slow down. it really never does completely stop but i find it harder to maintain the temp. i have a level three filter also. i have tried adjusting the gap on the mill but no luck. does anyone have any suggestions on the mill gap when using jay birds false bottom? any help will be greatly appreciated.

Show a picture of ur milled grains if u can. Alot of people can prob make good recommendations based on that.

i actually just got done brewing right now as i type i will try to get some old grain and mill it just so u can see the grained milled thanks for the quick reply

Are you getting much grain sucked under the false bottom? I have the same false bottom but use a 20 gal stainless pot instead of a keggle and actually haven't had any issues with it. A weizen with 50% wheat, no rice hulls, and I run the pump full blast during dough-in.

I am getting some grain under the false bottom but its mainly powder, but then the other filter stops that from getting sucked in...well at least most of it..

I'm going to adjust my gap to .045 see if that helps I'll report back after next brew thanx for the replies..

P6180553.jpg adjusted to .045

P6180554.jpg factory setting .039

i was using it tighter at about .036 and my efficiency was about 82% but i read and heard on "the Sunday session" that we (home brewers) should hit for 70-75% per john palmer because you get a better taste. well anyways i wouldn't mind trying out .045 for a brew since everything still seems nice and crushed let me know what you guys think.

so i finally got my herms electric brewery set up and running. i done about 4 batches with it but every time i get a semi stuck mash, it starts fine for about five minutes then the stream starts to slow down. it really never does completely stop but i find it harder to maintain the temp. i have a level three filter also. i have tried adjusting the gap on the mill but no luck. does anyone have any suggestions on the mill gap when using jay birds false bottom? any help will be greatly appreciated.

The level 3 was never intended for a MLT. It is probably getting fines in it and holding you back from flowing full flow. The level 1 is for the MLT the 1 and 2 is intended for the MLT and BK and the level 3 is ONLY for a BK. PM me if you want and I will take the level 3 back in trade for a level 1 or 2 if you don't need it for a BK later. Going from a level 3 to a level 2 or 1 will fix that problem.

I run a level 1 under my 15" and do monster mashes and I can flow full tilt for as long as I need to without missing a beat.

Cheers
Jay

I have two false bottoms. One of them is a Jaybird 15" with a level 3 below it. I never have an issue and I use a MM3 set to .045. I am not discounting what Jaybird is saying but rather sharing my experience.

Also, great customer service to offer a replacement.

I have two false bottoms. One of them is a Jaybird 15" with a level 3 below it. I never have an issue and I use a MM3 set to .045. I am not discounting what Jaybird is saying but rather sharing my experience.

Also, great customer service to offer a replacement.

This is great news to be honest. I have tested mine with a level 3 and had the same experience as docon86. It started running slow after a while. Never quit running altogether. But its great to hear others having good luck with the level 3 in a MLT.
Thanks for sharing mcl

Cheers
Jay

Back