1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First batch with a 2 Gallon Mash Tun - what an improvement!

I have been using a strainer with the Brooklyn Brew Shop recipe kits. My latest brew, I used the Mash Tun instead and the beer is fantastic! So glad I upgraded, plus now I can make 2 batches at once.

Out of curiosity, how did you build your mashtun?

I'm gonna go crazy and just make it from fresh squashed blueberries. In the height of Jersey Blueberry season blueberries get really cheap (like under a buck a pound) and I figure I might as well take advantage of it. Probably just need a little water and maybe a touch of sugar to dry it out a little.
Take notes and let us know how it comes out please. I like blueberry wine. Though I find it needs a little nitrogen boost when you make if from juice.

Can someone direct me to a good thread on carbing beer with corn syrup? I've been using carbonation tabs since I started and my results always vary. I want to switch over but I can't find good detailed instructions!

divrguy said:
You need some malt like 2 row, Munich, Maris etc.... But you could add any of those to some base malt. You have a local LHBS or you have to mail order?

I have dme laying around at all times but just got I to partial mashes. Sadly I used all my extra grain and hops I had to brew the cream ale on a whim.

No lhbs. For me :-/

Can someone direct me to a good thread on carbing beer with corn syrup? I've been using carbonation tabs since I started and my results always vary. I want to switch over but I can't find good detailed instructions!

Why would you use corn syrup? Just use corn sugar.

I suck at building things like this, so I ordered this one instead:

http://www.homebrewstuff.com/2-gallon-mash-tun.html

I had to tighten the seal, but that was it. Works great, flow wort is perfect and the sparge is easy. Only had a bit of an issue hitting mash out temp, but recycled a bit of wort to make space.

Cool, thanks for the link, it's more or less the same cheap and easy build Fly Guy did, but in a smaller fashion. Now the question is do I spend the 40 plus shipping there or do it myself for about 25. Will my desire to not drive to my parents or brothers to use their tools win out?

Is it possible to do a BIAB method with one gallon kits? That mash tun looks awesome but I'm not comfortable enough with brewing to use one. I just bought some all grain kits from Brooklyn Brew Shop and I need to decide how to brew them.

Suggestions?

Is it possible to do a BIAB method with one gallon kits? That mash tun looks awesome but I'm not comfortable enough with brewing to use one. I just bought some all grain kits from Brooklyn Brew Shop and I need to decide how to brew them.

Suggestions?

I brewed 2, 1 gal. Batches using hop socks. (Biab) they are both fermenting now. I had no issues. About 2 , 2 & 1/2 lbs. Each. I big hop sock. I should have used a nylon bag. Damn. Oh well. You'll be fine. I'm looking into mash tuns. You don't need one yet. I also scalled down to 1 gal. Due to finances a much easier to clean. Plus. Still looking for my recipe. I figured, I can drink 12, 13, 14 bottles of bad beer instead of 5 gal. of it.

I have dme laying around at all times but just got I to partial mashes. Sadly I used all my extra grain and hops I had to brew the cream ale on a whim.

No lhbs. For me :-/

Were do you live, S.D.?

25518 said:
I brewed 2, 1 gal. Batches using hop socks. (Biab) they are both fermenting now. I had no issues. About 2 , 2 & 1/2 lbs. Each. I big hop sock. I should have used a nylon bag. Damn. Oh well. You'll be fine. I'm looking into mash tuns. You don't need one yet. I also scalled down to 1 gal. Due to finances a much easier to clean. Plus. Still looking for my recipe. I figured, I can drink 12, 13, 14 bottles of bad beer instead of 5 gal. of it.

So a nylon bag should suffice? I just looked into the mash tun and how to se it. It's actually not that bad.

For one one gallon batches I usually start with 1.5 gallons of water. What do we think the split would be for mash water and sparge water? Two quarts for mash and four for sparge? Or an even split three for each?

Decisions to make!!

Suggestions?

Yes. I've done it in the past but haven't been happy with my efficiencies and want to brew bigger beers and it will be hard without improving my efficiency. I've kicked around the idea of just doing BIAB in a cooler because I'm not maintaining my heat very well.

hoppyhoppyhippo said:
Yes. I've done it in the past but haven't been happy with my efficiencies and want to brew bigger beers and it will be hard without improving my efficiency. I've kicked around the idea of just doing BIAB in a cooler because I'm not maintaining my heat very well.

So BIAB with something like that two gallon cooler from homebrewstuff?

Suggestions?

I do it all the time..... paint strainer bag and canning pot make a fast cheap set up

I'm thinking if getting a nylon bag and the two gallon mash tun from homebrewstuff and trying that method. I always have a problem maintaining temperature in my oven when mashing. Might as well do it the right way!

jongrill said:
I'm thinking if getting a nylon bag and the two gallon mash tun from homebrewstuff and trying that method. I always have a problem maintaining temperature in my oven when mashing. Might as well do it the right way!

It is much easier with a cooler. But other than that, it's the same. I second the idea of just getting a cheap cooler. You can convert it later.

Filter it through a paint strainer bag after the mash.

You can just mash with the grain in the bag. I've done it that way using a stock pot for mashing and it works great. In fact, it would probably work even better using a cooler. Put hot strike water in the cooler, then put in the bag with grain, stir and mash. As I understand it, that's basically the standard BIAB method.

unkyjack said:
You can just mash with the grain in the bag. I've done it that way using a stock pot for mashing and it works great. In fact, it would probably work even better using a cooler. Put hot strike water in the cooler, then put in the bag with grain, stir and mash. As I understand it, that's basically the standard BIAB method.

But mash in higher than your mash temp because it drops. Mine drops about 15 degrees.

Or be ready to add hot or cold water to adjust.

But mash in higher than your mash temp because it drops. Mine drops about 15 degrees.

Or be ready to add hot or cold water to adjust.

Good point. The rule of thumb seems to be a drop of 10 degrees when the grain is added, but it's best to use an instant-read thermometer to monitor the mash temp. From my own experience, I've found the exact temperature drop depends on the mash vessel I use. For some reason, mashing in my 6-quart SS stock pot gives a slightly greater temperature drop than my 8-quart SS pot using the same amount of grain and strike water. The easiest way for me to control the mash temp has been to heat the strike water, add the grain, check the temp and then put the pot in my oven that's been pre-heated to its minimum temperature. That way the mash temp stays pretty constant for the full 60 minutes. If I need to cool things down a bit I just crack open the oven door to drop the temp or slide the pot lid off to the side to vent a little of the heat in the pot. I'm a newbie at AG brewing, but so far the mash-in-the-oven technique has worked better than trying to maintain mash temps on my glass-cooktop electric stove . . . which is just about mission impossible. But, I'm really tempted to try mashing in a cooler because it should do a good job of maintaining a constant temp for the entire 60 minute mash and it would eliminate having to use the oven.

Oven works well. I heat up my strike on the stove, then add grains and stir...take a reading (really good at hitting my numbers) then leave it for 5 minutes....after that I put it back on the burner I heated it (as it is still very warm) and it will hold the temp for another 15-20...then I just put the burner on low and stir every few minutes to keep the temp from rising too much.

You have to remember that most conversion will be in the first 20-30...after that your basically good. But you have to also remember that temp drops will make your wort more fermentable and have less body. But if your heating it up after conversion...nothing will change. So I like to keep heating it to avoid that conversion and just make sure you hit your numbers early on.

Thanks for the info, Cali. I'll keep that conversion timetable in mind as I mash. It's just one more part of the puzzle for me to work on. My main objective right now is to get repeatable results with the basics of AG brewing, like maintaining the correct mash temperature. I find if I plan things out and don't rush through the brew day things usually go well. So far, that game plan has helped me avoid any big problems.

Has any one used their own hops for a one gallon brew? I have a nice 1st year cascade growing and its given about 20 hop flowers so far. Has any one used their own homegrown hops for a one gallon brew? If so plz share the details :)

Has any one used their own hops for a one gallon brew? I have a nice 1st year cascade growing and its given about 20 hop flowers so far. Has any one used their own homegrown hops for a one gallon brew? If so plz share the details :)

I do this every year. My oldest plant and most reliable is Cascade. I have a few that are likely Cenntenial that also do well. On small batches I will sometimes use them for bittering and aroma (usually @ 3x by weight of pellets). On larger batches I usually use the homegrown only at flame out.

Any prep for the hops after you pick them? Do I need to wash or dry or anything?

My first all grain brew is tomorrow! I'm using Brooklyn's All Day IPA kit.

I'm a little nervous so I wanted to run by how I'm going to do mash/brew by you guys to see if I'm doing it right.

I am going to mash in my brew kettle with 3 qts water for 60min. I was then going to sparge with 3 more qts water to get me to 1.5 gallons.

Sound good?

Thanks!

My first all grain brew is tomorrow! I'm using Brooklyn's All Day IPA kit.

I'm a little nervous so I wanted to run by how I'm going to do mash/brew by you guys to see if I'm doing it right.

I am going to mash in my brew kettle with 3 qts water for 60min. I was then going to sparge with 3 more qts water to get me to 1.5 gallons.

Sound good?

Thanks!

Sounds about right, just follow the instructions they give, Brooklyn Brewing kits are great. Good Luck!

Ostomo517 said:
Sounds about right, just follow the instructions they give, Brooklyn Brewing kits are great. Good Luck!

I plan to follow all directions except make it a brew in a bag recipe.

I've brewed a couple of their kits and they have turned out great. They are not BIAB but rather mash in a kettle and sparge using a strainer. Let me know how the BIAB method works, I may try that :)

Back