greetings from newly-legal Alabama!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjcarter

Reaction score
Howdy folks,

New beer home brewer here from Alabama. Celebrating the legalisation of home brewing with an English style Pale Ale which is bubbling away quietly in my basement!

I also brew mead, which is a very low visibility brewing activity!

So, cheers y'all from the Scotsman in the Yellowhammer state!

Is that "new" or actually new? :D
I have wondered if the coverage of the legislation being changed will actually have an affect on people that would never of thought about brewing getting into it.

Is that "new" or actually new? :D
I have wondered if the coverage of the legislation being changed will actually have an affect on people that would never of thought about brewing getting into it.

new to brewing beer - mead is a lot more subtle than standing outside boiling stuff for hours on end ;)

I think that the saturation coverage in the local press will make people think about trying it casually for the first time. I have a suspicion that Mr Beer kits will be very popular this year...

Welcome, and congrats on getting your law passed. Going up against government (who is suppose to be working for and not against us) can be painful at times. Enjoy your new brew freedom.

Welcome, and congrats on getting your law passed. Going up against government (who is suppose to be working for and not against us) can be painful at times. Enjoy your new brew freedom.

you don't know the half of it...

Before May 2009, beer above 6% ABV was illegal in Alabama. Before June 2011, brewery taprooms were illegal and so too were free samples (no samples from a brewery tour). Before August 2012, non-draft beer containers larger than 16oz were illegal. All these were resolved by Free the Hops. And this year, Right To Brew got home brewing legal.

I'm not sure what we will all do with ourselves now we don't have to go to the capitol to demand rights :rockin:

sjcarter said:
you don't know the half of it...

Before May 2009, beer above 6% ABV was illegal in Alabama. Before June 2011, brewery taprooms were illegal and so too were free samples (no samples from a brewery tour). Before August 2012, non-draft beer containers larger than 16oz were illegal. All these were resolved by Free the Hops. And this year, Right To Brew got home brewing legal.

I'm not sure what we will all do with ourselves now we don't have to go to the capitol to demand rights :rockin:

Haha..welcome. This is just the beginning. We have a lot of rights that we still need to fight for even though they have been granted many years ago. You should make a high ABV beer and put it into a 22oz bottle. Give it a cool name to symbolize this legislation passing.

You should make a high ABV beer and put it into a 22oz bottle. Give it a cool name to symbolize this legislation passing.

Not quite ready to brew high ABV, but I am intending making an English style bitter with loads of Motueka dry hoping and calling it "prohibitionist's nightmare" or similar :p

Welcome to the site from a displaced Alabamian now living in Tennessee. Originally from Mobile, but I lived just south of B'ham for a while too.

I always thought it funny to see prolific brewers from the prohibition states actively participating on this forum... complete with pictures of their setups and finished products.

It always seemed silly to me to outlaw brewing. That's like outlawing cupcakes.

Marriage equality is always a good thing to fight for. :mug:

Welcome to the site from a displaced Alabamian now living in Tennessee. Originally from Mobile, but I lived just south of B'ham for a while too.

it's amazing seeing the changes from the inside, then realising that there's a guy I know from the internets who drives from *Carlsbad* to Birmingham to buy beer.... :drunk:

Back