Air Lock blew off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Microphobik

Reaction score
Wow, so I just brewed my first beer in about 15 years. It was more or less Ed Wort's Haus pale ale, with Nottingham yeast. 24 hours after pitching I woke up to find the air lock blown off and sitting on the floor, a mountain of foam pouring out of the carboy. Never seen such an aggressive fermentation. I can't imagine this thing taking more than 3 or 4 days to ferment out. I'd be completely stoked we're it not for the exposure to air I got from the blown air lock.

How concerned should I be about infection? Is it likely that the aggressive CO2 production will save me from bacteria exposure or is there a good chance I'll have problems? No idea how long it was blown. Could have been 5 minutes or 5 hours. If I do have problem when is it likely off flavors and smells would arise. So far everything smells beautiful.

Happens to everyone sooner or later, especially without temp controlled fermentation. Highly unlikely it could cause an infection.

No concern to oxidation or infection, especially with that vigorous of a fermentation.. the inside of the fermenter has positive pressure, nothing's getting in after one day.

I had a Bier'splosian on a recent batch of Belgian Schelde in a 6.5 gallon carboy, like you I had no idea how long it had been foaming over (5 min or 5 hrs.). OG was 1.068 it just grew and clogged the Air Lock & kablooie. I racked to another carboy and put in a BIG blow off tube. When initial fermentation was done I racked to another carboy for a couple of weeks. I just bottled it tonight and it is going to be a really good bier, hit my target of 1.012. New rule for me, anything over 1.062ish gets a big blow off tube. I am fairly new to brewing and am pleasantly pleased that there was no infection.

This same thing happened with my stout. Went all Mt. St Hellen Beercano all over my garage and the ceiling.

So far so good. Samples taste fine. I try not to sweat the details too much about a dozen batches in. I try to remember what my buddy told me

"Heck, they used to make beer in caves. Dont sweat it too much."

I'm still anal about brews that I want to develop more. But when I'm lazy, I'm lazy and the last few I've pushed the limits with no ill effects.

Who knows, maybe I'm just on a run of good luck

Back