Keezer verson 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coinhall09

Reaction score
This was my keezer when I first built it .

image-47545469.jpg

View attachment 124604

Then I got the crazy idea to paint it and add color to make it look better in the kitchen .

I used 3 cans if stainless steel spray paint , then a couple cans of clear gloss enamel , but I didn't get the shiny sleek finish that I wanted so then I bought some spray polyurethane and got close to what I was wanting .

Then I used some liquid nails and glued it to my home made dolly . Eventually the wife is going to finish making the skirt for the bottom from leftover fabric from the matching curtains in the kitchen .

I built the temp contoller in a smaller box and used some command Velcro to hold it on on the back .

image-2333930878.jpg

image-3154518667.jpg

It's working right now and the wife says it looks good so I'm ok with the pain in the butt the painting put me thru . It's not the coolest looking keezer but it'll work .

For verson 3 I might try to build it into a keezer coffin style box ? .

image-2377045034.jpg

So what does my fellow Home brew talk members think ?
Any tips or tricks some of y'all might have learned with building your keezer , would be greatly appreciated .

Thanks

coinhall09 said:
This was my keezer when I first built it .

Then I got the crazy idea to paint it and add color to make it look better in the kitchen .

I used 3 cans if stainless steel spray paint , then a couple cans of clear gloss enamel , but I didn't get the shiny sleek finish that I wanted so then I bought some spray polyurethane and got close to what I was wanting .

Then I used some liquid nails and glued it to my home made dolly . Eventually the wife is going to finish making the skirt for the bottom from leftover fabric from the matching curtains in the kitchen .

I built the temp contoller in a smaller box and used some command Velcro to hold it on on the back .

It's working right now and the wife says it looks good so I'm ok with the pain in the butt the painting put me thru . It's not the coolest looking keezer but it'll work .

For verson 3 I might try to build it into a keezer coffin style box ? .

So what does my fellow Home brew talk members think ?
Any tips or tricks some of y'all might have learned with building your keezer , would be greatly appreciated .

Thanks

What tips are you looking for? I am impressed by how the stainless turned out. I'd throw some faucets and shanks in there if you've got the spare cash. Not opening a door will be revolutionary

Thanks , yeah it almost a passes as stainless ( haha ) I'm not exactly sure about tips , but I've seen a lot of pics on here that look like they took it to a pro to get painted , I guess any tips to get good looking results with painting .

About the faucets , I would but I have a almost 3 year old girl , that would be a mess haha . That's why I was thinking about a coffin style keezer ( taps on top )

Thanks again

coinhall09 said:
Thanks , yeah it almost a passes as stainless ( haha ) I'm not exactly sure about tips , but I've seen a lot of pics on here that look like they took it to a pro to get painted , I guess any tips to get good looking results with painting .

About the faucets , I would but I have a almost 3 year old girl , that would be a mess haha . That's why I was thinking about a coffin style keezer ( taps on top )

Thanks again

Aww I see. As far as painting I'm not much help as mine is stained plywood. For a nice looking tower (maybe this is an option to protect taps) check out this thread. I'm making one for my dads kegerator, but I found one at Ross for $6.99.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/toilet-brush-holder-draft-tower-368997/

Right now I'm done with the project until I want to built a keezer coffin box around it , any tips on what type of wood to use and stain tips for later use ? I think next time I will use the brush able polyurethane .

coinhall09 said:
Right now I'm done with the project until I want to built a keezer coffin box around it , any tips on what type of wood to use and stain tips for later use ? I think next time I will use the brush able polyurethane .

For staining I would recommend using a rag, old tshirt or sock. I can still see brush marks on my pine plywood. I wish I had found some nice vinear (sp?) instead. I think it's worth the extra money

coinhall09 said:
Thanks , what type if plywood did you use ?

I used pine. Not the cheapest grade they had but not what I would like. I was doing it on the cheap. If I had the money I would've probably done cherry. But the pine was fine if I had taken my time finishing it and had a little more know how. I think you can see my issues from pics in the build thread

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/so-im-committed-what-do-you-think-any-changes-258346/

Also someone else may know alternatives, but depending on the wood you use I'd recommend tung oil. It's not exactly a stain but it does stain the wood, but with many finishes it creates a nice smooth finish. Love that product. You can hone in the color though. Worth checking out.

Take your time and don't cut corners. I wish id been more patient and a little more skilled and maybe I wouldn't be wanting to build another keezer.

For staining I would recommend using a rag, old tshirt or sock. I can still see brush marks on my pine plywood. I wish I had found some nice vinear (sp?) instead. I think it's worth the extra money

For staining about any wood I recommend sanding smooth, then use a brush or sponge to apply the stain. Apply it evenly and with a little excess so that it is wet on top. Let it soak for a bit and then wipe it off with a cotton rag before it can dry. If you wipe it good you will not have brush marks. For a deep luster finish let the stain dry for a day or so then apply poly or lacquer. If you use a sandable clear coat and use 220 paper between coats you will have a nice deep finish after three coats. I recommend a spray gun for the clear coats. A spray gun is also good for applying the stain before wiping it down. The key to having the best finish is doing a good job sanding.

Back