How bad did I mess up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

realtree2

Reaction score
I breweed my first batch last weekend. An amber with sg 1.050. While cooling. I put a sanitized frozen gallon of water in the pot. The jug burst and i panicked dumping about half a gallon of slightly diluted wort down the drain! I know, i'm a *******. My question is how bad did i screw up here. Primary at 64 for a week seems to have gone well. The krausen is almost completely gone but my gravity is 1.026 for the second time. I was going to rack into my carboy tonight for another 2 weeks. Any suggestions?

I don't know how bad you messed up because I just brewed my first batch last weekend too! I am glad I had second thoughts about doing exactly what you did. I actually thought about doing the same thing but just put it in the ice bath instead.

Any reason why fermentaion stopped at 1.026? Stalled or too cold?

Mostly its because the yeast aren't done yet. Since you started the ferment cool (good job!) the yeast take longer to complete making the alcohol. At this point your flavors are set and warming the beer up will help the yeast get the gravity down. Give it another 10 days to two weeks at room temperature and then take a hydrometer sample again. I'll bet it will be ready to bottle then.

If you were working off kit instructions their suggestion that the beer is done in 7 days is wishful thinking. You have to be really good at brewing to get beer close to done in that little time.:rockin:

Back