What to make with the grain I have?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephenabney

Reaction score
Anyone have some ideas on what to brew next that would use some of the left overs I have (I brew 2.5 gallon batches).

5 lbs 2 row
1/2 lb chocolate malt
1/2 lb crystal 20
5 lb wheat malt

Just finished an IPA, before that a Belgium wheat, before that a dunkel.

Thanks!!!

Have any oatmeal as well? Looks like you could make a oatmeal stout out of that.

I could definitely pick some oatmeal. Thanks for the tip. Never made that before, but sounds good!

Could do a low gravity IPA with wheat. Kind of like a session version of Little Sumpin' Sumpin from Lagunitas - that uses a bunch of wheat. I'd use all that you have listed except the choco malt (obviously) and hop it a good one with your favorites. I bet it'd be tasty.

All done! I'm pretty excited about my first nut brown ale! Thanks everyone.

image-661005472.jpg

I just did kind of the same thing; I added up all the partial bags I had, and according to BJCP, I brewed a mild. I added 8 oz of home toasted oatmeal and in 7 days it went from 1.038, to 1.012. I am leaving it to ferment for another week as my first taste was way too sweet. I will keep you all posted if it cleans up or not.

EDIT:
Here it is 4 days later and the SG is currently 1.008 and the cloying sweetness is completely gone. :) Fermentation is probably done, but I will give it another week in primary just in case. The taste is actually fantastic. The desired bitterness is there and it actually has nice mouth feel. The last time I brewed a mild it sucked as I was very new to brewing then, and didn't have good sparging technique. If I can replicate this batch again, I will always have a cold one waiting for me and my wife.

Back