Cold Brew in Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dakubica

Reaction score
Has anyone here cold brewed coffee in a carboy? I am looking to do 5 gallons at once and keg it after the 24 hours of room temperature steeping. I still need to do the calculations on figuring how much I would need in grounds however I figured I would throw this out here to see if anyone else has done it. I have made a lot of small batches with a french press and Dunkin Donuts beans (i ground them myself).

Thoughts? Recommendations? Concerns?

-David

Separating the grounds from the water may prove to be problematic.

The coffee filter will plug up very quickly. Might be better served by a food grade bucket and a voile bag.

I agree with The Bishop. food grade bucket is the way to go. A narrow necked carboy would be a serious pain in the ass for a project like this.

A ball valve on the siphon tube to regulate flow into the coffee filter would work (or a clothespin to pinch it some). A cold crash should settle %99 of the grains, just siphon from above the trub.

2 days warm soak, 2 days cold crash.

Try a sheer curtain. They work very well auto siphon into a plastic bucket with the sheer curtain pulled over top to act as filter but should be lose enough to hang. Much of the grounds will fall out. I cold brew 1/2 gallon at a time in fridge

I will report how it goes. Based on everyone's input, in a coupe of days I think I will try the carboy approach for 5 1/2 ~ 6 gallons. If I let the grounds settle (cold Crash) I should be able to siphon off 5 gallons with little grounds. The Siphon will be directed to a filter to catch anything that seeps through. I am also going to grind the beans a little finer as well so I get more flavor overall. Wish me luck. :)

I would just take 4 oz espresso beans, grind and put into sanitized container with water that was boiled and cooled. Put into fridge for 24 hours. I used about 8-12 oz of water. It will settle some. Pour through coffee filter and then add to taste. Easy way to do it and not have too much coffee flavor

look up 'commercial toddy' ... their system uses a paint strainer bag with a giant paper filter. In general, 5 pounds of coffee will yield 3G of cold brew and then coffee shops go 50/50 for iced coffee or straight for cold espresso,

I finished up and it turned out awesome. I used cheesecloth to filter which made it go pretty fast. It is kegged and pouring fine. Loving a mixture of eggnog and coffee in the morning. Only thing I may change in the future is utilizing a 6 gallon bucket vice a carboy as suggested due to the ease of cleanup.

Cold-brewed coffee on tap.

This may be the most phenomenal idea I've ever heard.

Awesome.

I finished up and it turned out awesome. I used cheesecloth to filter which made it go pretty fast. It is kegged and pouring fine. Loving a mixture of eggnog and coffee in the morning. Only thing I may change in the future is utilizing a 6 gallon bucket vice a carboy as suggested due to the ease of cleanup.

How many pounds of grounds to make 5 gallons of cold brew?

Back