CO2 Tank - Export / Import to Canada

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingPin

Reaction score
Sorry if this was asked and answered - I couldn't find a concrete answer in the search.

Does anyone know if I can order a CO2 tank from one of our american vendors and then bring that bottle uncharged across the border to Canada? Seems the prices for some of these tanks are quite a bit cheaper 45 minutes south.

King

So - I called a few welding places and an air gasses shop... I got quotes that would shock most people i'm sure. I'm getting quoted 260$ for a filled 10LB tank.... Maybe forced carb is not the way to go. I just dont think I can afford that.

If anyone has any better ideas i'm all ears.

I'm in the same boat. Air gas shops want $150 a year to rent a 20# and $55 to refill. The best deal I found was a LHBS is selling a 5# aluminum tank for $130 or steel tank for $100 and $10 to refill as an exchange.

HEY CRZ!! what a nasty position to be in. I don't know where you are from but around here its pretty slim pickins for things. I'm scared to order across the border for the cylinder as I've heard that the border guard can seize your tanks if they dont meet transport canada requirements or something.

I talked to my LHBS -- they have a 20LB cylinder that I can "lease" for 100$. It doesnt come filled, they dont know the last pressure test date, and it doesnt have a regulator...... at this point it seems like a great deal :(

Thanks Brewser....these guys came in pretty reasonable. They wanted 85$ / year for lease and then ~60$ every time i brought in a 20LB bottle to refill. Not bad but still not my own tank.

Have you guys tried Praxair? That is where I get mine locally (in the States) and they have locations in Canada.

http://www.praxair.com/praxair.nsf/...829f4b253a90949285256a92005c00a8!OpenDocument

I'm not sure if they have a location near your or if they'll ship, but it may be worth a phone call/email.

Good Luck.

Wow... sorry guys. That hurts. I got my 20 lb tank for $30... and it only costs me $30 to get an exchange. Wish I could help, but anything that crosses the border adds a lot of complexity.

i bought a 20lb tank several years ago on ebay, and had it shipped (uncharged). I wasnt given any hassle when it crossed the border.

i bought a 20lb tank several years ago on ebay, and had it shipped (uncharged). I wasnt given any hassle when it crossed the border.

Not sure what to tell you here. I've heard that if a CO2 tank doesnt have transport canada stickers or a particular valve on it its hard to get it across the border.

Since I only plan on doing a few kegs of soda I figured that 5 lb tank is as good of a start as anything.

King

I Live in Winnipeg. I purchased a 5lb tank and regulator online 3 weeks ago on Amazon. They didn't ship the items to Canada so I had it shipped to a parcel storage place at the border. I had no issues when I brought it across customs since it was empty. Might be a bit trickier had it been filled. I saved over $100 compared to if I purchased from my local brew store.

i bought my co2 tank in usa and brought over the broder without any problems. to get it filled i go to the fire safety/extinguisher type place. i think it was 20 bucks to fill my 10 pounder.

Thats what I ended up doing - I live close enough to the border that it doesn't really matter to drive to pick something like that up (I save more in shipping then I'd spend in gas). It is crazy how expensive these tanks are up here in Canada (makes you wonder). But being from Canada and a frequent shopper in the U.S not much surprises me anymore.

For the regulator -- I may have to check Amazon (one place I haven't really looked yet).

King

I Live in Winnipeg. I purchased a 5lb tank and regulator online 3 weeks ago on Amazon. They didn't ship the items to Canada so I had it shipped to a parcel storage place at the border. I had no issues when I brought it across customs since it was empty. Might be a bit trickier had it been filled. I saved over $100 compared to if I purchased from my local brew store.

I don't know about border fees, but would assume you'd get dinged something fierce by import fees bringing tank in from the states.

ontariobeerkegs.com or hopdawgs.ca is my recommendation, you'd be looking at between $80 CAD and $100 CAD for a new 5lb aluminum tank from these Canadian vendors. Shipping might affect who you'd go with, as one is closer to you than the other.

Now that I read your last post, you might have already bought one from the states, but anyhow, useful info for others that don't perhaps live quite as close to the border :)

Thanks - I checked ontariobeerkegs first and they were quite expensive for shipping which made going from the states an easier choice. I hadn't heard of hopdawgs before and am just going to check them out now.

I don't know about border fees, but would assume you'd get dinged something fierce by import fees bringing tank in from the states.

ontariobeerkegs.com or hopdawgs.ca is my recommendation, you'd be looking at between $80 CAD and $100 CAD for a new 5lb aluminum tank from these Canadian vendors. Shipping might affect who you'd go with, as one is closer to you than the other.

Now that I read your last post, you might have already bought one from the states, but anyhow, useful info for others that don't perhaps live quite as close to the border :)

don't know what happened but that definitely looks more reasonable than I remember .......... now I'm a little upset that I purchased the one out of the U.S........ :(

Our shipping is only $9.99 for orders over $50.00 to provinces.

Did you encounter an error with the website?

Not sure what to tell you here. I've heard that if a CO2 tank doesnt have transport canada stickers or a particular valve on it its hard to get it across the border.

Since I only plan on doing a few kegs of soda I figured that 5 lb tank is as good of a start as anything.

King
I suppose i got lucky then. At the time I didnt realize it actually was an issue.

It was shipped with a few cornies in a large box.

Back