Electric stove takes forever to boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tcraft18

Reaction score
I have an electric flat top stove and found that it takes forever to get my water to a boil. I don't think I am in the market for new stove at this time. Are there any other cheaper options or should I just deal with it.

Split the liquid between two pots to bring it to a boil quicker and then combine as you add hops.

Also you could try to insulate the pot(s) to help keep the heat where you need it (just make sure it won't ignite!)

How much were u trying to boil. I started with 2.5 gallons wiht the lid on until it got going and then kept it off. With each batch I increased the total volume to 4 gallons to try and keep the color closer to the kit (smaller boil=darker beer) but 4 was pushing it. U can always go smaller volume with the water just add more water on top of it once u transfer to the carboy. Just be aware that the color of it will be darker then it should be.

There's always the turkey fryer outside. I paid about $35 for mine, and I still have it many years later. I don't brew with it any more, but I do use it for my fish fry parties at my cottage. It's probably the cheapest and easiest way to boil the wort.

Split the liquid between two pots to bring it to a boil quicker and then combine as you add hops.

Also you could try to insulate the pot(s) to help keep the heat where you need it (just make sure it won't ignite!)

+1 to splitting the boil, although I just leave it separated for the whole time and divide the hops evenly. Once cooled, I combine in the bucket. Using a lid to get things started helps too, but be careful of boilovers.

Get some of the reflective insulation wrap for hot water pipes and wrap your pot in it. Look around online for examples of people doing it. Tape it in place with that silver tape you'd usually buy for that type of insulation anyway. You probably don't want to wrap it ALL the way to the very bottom of the kettle in case the insulation touches a red hot stove element so leave and inch or so open down there. Also DO NOT use this method on a gas stove or propane burner or you could start an impressively dangerous and expensive fire in your kitchen or yard.

I had the same problem when I started. I ended up building a heat stick, which helped tremendously. I know some use dual heat sticks to crank it up even faster. Check the forum for heat stick builds if you are interested in DIY (and don't mind playing with electricity).

Just wanted to add that a smaller boil doesn't automatically equal darker beer as was mentioned. It's usually adding too much extract like LME at the beginning of the boil. Late extract additions are def better. As for the flat top stove,those aren't that great for boiling large amounts. Plus,you need a kettle where the heat won't warp the bottom. They have to sit flat on those flat top stoves. Maybe a kettle that has the sandwhiched bottom would be better.
I have the usual coil element electric stove,& bought aftermarket heating elements on amazon. I can heat 3.5 gallons now from mash temp to boiling in about 18 minutes. No more waiting a couple hours for it to boil.

Put the brew pot partially full on the biggest element. Place any sauce pans you've got on the other elements. When any of the smaller pots/pans get close to boil, dump them in the brew pot.

Shop for a turkey fryer. Got a propane tank already?

Some pretty obvious ones here, but get your tap water nice and hot before putting it on to boil. Also, keep your lid on until it finally starts to boil.
I have a fairly old electric range myself and haven't had much of an issue when I use hot water and a lid.

There's always the turkey fryer outside. I paid about $35 for mine, and I still have it many years later. I don't brew with it any more, but I do use it for my fish fry parties at my cottage. It's probably the cheapest and easiest way to boil the wort.

+ another 1. Black Friday special at bass pro shop they were $50 a few years ago and came with a 5 gallon aluminum pot. Sounds like you're doing partial boils (or have giant burners on your stove), and a 5 gal kettle would work great for that.

Yooper said:

The number of times I have kicked myself for buying my incredibly marked up $150 burner and stand at my LHBS!

Propane means cooking outside. It's awesome if you have the room. And these burners fly to boiling. Game changing.

Back