How drunk have you gotten off your own supply?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many times to count. according to my wife that after I'd nailed down a couple of bombers from my 9.1 % Belgian saison I was singing along to all the songs in "Rock of Ages" on the back of the couch

This is the second day in four days that I've heard someone mention rock of ages and intoxication in the same story. Coincidence? I think not.

I've only been homebrewing for about a year and a half and it's been several years since I've gotten blitzed so I've never been completed wasted on my own homebrew.

These days I almost exclusively drink stuff made at home (beer, wine, cider, wine based cocktail) and every now and then I consume enough to go beyond a happy buzz and become intoxicated enough to make speaking coherently and walking straight lines difficult.

Side note: I've always loved the word intoxicated. It sounds romantic almost. Unless the word is being used by a cop or a judge, that is.

My first runin with Apfelwein. Had a good buzz going after not too many, but the next day. Yurrg. It is the next day that tells me how much I really had. Funny thing, is after that rite of passage, I warn people, then get untold amusement out of people ignoring the warnings about the potency of Apfelwein. And the complaints of hangovers the next day? Hilarious.

This past weekend....well I woke up naked in my bed after a good session of homebrew. However my wife was not naked, unfortunate for me. She had too many margaritas!

In this case it wasn't me, but this past Friday I had 3 people pass out at my house after a night of drinking my homebrew. One was passed out in the grass out back. The other two managed to find a couch. I drank as much as they did, but I wasn't drunk. I guess I'm used to my beer. They are BMC drinkers, so they're used to drinking lite beers not 10% ABV stuff like I was serving. :cross:

whats odd is i dont generally drink enough to get drunk when i have beer. usually takes hard liquor to get me there before i get full.

Erm... twice.

First, my buddy came down to visit and we split a bottle of my Raspberry skeeter pee...then another before I realized they were my liter bottles for parties... I thoughtfully wrote out a note for my roommate telling him that I would clean out the sink in the morning. I woke up to a note saying "wtf does this say?" and another saying "nvm, saw the sink"

Second, My girlfriend threw a party at our apartment and I got into my apfelwein. I woke up freshly bathed and swaddled with a distinct memory of a girl friend staring at my business in the bathtub and congratulating my girlfriend.

Edit: girl friend was helping the girlfriend...

hunter_la5 said:
That's pretty much the only time I get drunk on my homebrew.... :D

SWMBO: "Why are you drinking so much tonight?"
ME: "This beer turned out kind of disappointing, so I need to get rid of it to free up the keg."
SWMBO: "Why don't you just dump it?"
ME: "Huh?"

:drunk:

ME: "Umm you want me to dump what now?!"

I recently brewed "Pliny The Elder" - a high gravity IIPA.

After a session of drinking a various assortment of beer, including but not limited to homebrew, my brewer friend and I decided to give Pliny a taste. It was still in secondary.

After a brief sample from drawing it out with a turkey baster, out came the siphoning gear and we proceeded to get smashed. It was warm and flat but WOW - the best homebrew I've produced yet. I'm not sure how many pints got polished in this fashion, but it sure did the trick. I woke up the next morning feeling like a salted slug and my racking equipment a total mess.

I slept until 4:30pm today! Still, never got a bad hangover for some reason no matter how much I drank. Not totally sure why. I don't filter my beer.

Back