Boayou Classic HERMS Mash Tun Conversion with Jaybird False Bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luhrks

Reaction score
I had issues with the false bottom on my keggle collapsing and ending up with half my grain bill in my boil pot. So I bit the bullet and ordered a false bottom with stand and handle for my 62qt Bayou Classic SS pot.

This used to be my boil pot back before I upgraded to a 20g boil pot so one of the bulkheads was already installed.

The basic mod consists of the following:

1. Adding Weldless port/ballvalve for the HERMS return.
2. Creating a dip tube for the false bottom that won't collapse from the weight, or "vapor lock" on the pot bottom.
3. Fitting all the ports for camlock QDs.

1. Adding the weldess port is straight forward. Drill a 7/8" hole in the kettle, debur and wrench down. I used a "Kettlevalve" as it's a good all in one unit for my needs and provides both 3/8" female as well as 1/2" male connections for options.

2. To create the dip tube I used 1/2" ID copper pipe, one T, one 1/2" male NPT, and four 90s. I cut the T in half length wise so it will act as a stand/riser for the diptube and prevent it from getting a suction lock on the bottom of the kettle. The top of the T extends just out of the hole in the jaybird. I used 4x 90s to create a "press lock" junction that allows me to insert and remove the bottom, and the tube very easily, but is rigid enough to survive 30# of grain on top of it... and my mash rake.

3. I fit male camlock QDs on both sides of the HERMS return as well as the out put of the drain valve for ease of attaching and removing hoses. As you can see from the las picture, my HERMS return is simply a 3' piece of silicon tubing with a female QD attached to the return valve. The tube simply lays on top of the grainbed.

The total cost of the conversion was $30 not including the Jaybird.

jayird conversion 017.jpg

jayird conversion 019.jpg

jayird conversion 020.jpg

jayird conversion 023.jpg

jayird conversion 028.jpg

very nice looking setup! I ended up adding that false bottom to my site as a stock part because of this project. Great idea! Looks like it fits perfect.
Cheers
Jay

Thanks Jay,
The false bottom actually left about 1/8" gap all around, so I grabbed some 1/4" rubbing with a 1/8" thickness and split it open to edge the rim.

Now it fits like a glove. ;)

Hey Jaybird,
Just wanted to say that it's been a year and the pot's still running strong.

Hi Luhrks...
Thanks for directing me to this thread. Just what I am trying to do. Jaybird FB already ordered (without hole). Here are my questions:

It is not clear from your pics but is the stand you have for the FB the same as the one Jaybird is currently selling (the "X")?

I am not familiar with what you mean by a press lock junction. Is the dip tube soldered or do you leave it able to take apart? If not soldered how does it maintain sufficient seal to function when liquid level falls below FB?

If you were going to put the hole anywhere on the FB where would you choose to locate it?

Thanks!

My stand was an "O" but the X version should work just fine.

The dip tube in mine is near the center so it's ringed by the stand, which adds a side filter. If you have an X you should pick a quad and place the hole closer to the edge.

No, the junctions of the dip tube were not soldered. You press fit (friction fit, pinch, etc) the elbows together. It's not 100% airtight, but there was no noticeable wasted wort.

Back