Water Profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
I've been using filtered tap water that is quite hard. I've decided to do more partial mashes BIAB style as I cannot maintain a good temp well in my little 2 gal Igloo.

I've read how water ought to have a certain type of profile depending on style of beer. Does this mean that were I to use bottles water from the store that I'd need to doctor it up for the best outcome?

And if half of my wort is extract how much does the water profile of the other half matter?

What styles work well with hard water?

Brewing water is a pretty advanced and complex topic. To make it simple, you don't have to necessarily doctor your water to brew different styles unless you are trying to replicate a traditional or specific beer from a specific region.

The mineral content of your water can however have an affect on the pH of your mash. A low or high pH can cause lower starch conversion efficiency or harsh flavors in your finished beer. The hardness of your water can affect this.

Hardness from calcium is beneficial unless it is extreme. Hardness from CaCO3 can be problematic for mash pH, especially in lighter beer styles.

I would give the partial mash with bottled water a shot. Half extract would help to dilute any harshness or tannin you may be getting from your mash. If it tastes good, you're golden. If not you can delve into the world of brewing water.

Good luck!

The complexity of water has kept me from being concerned with mashing.
I've looked at my water profile and it was lengthy.
So using all store bought water would be good for any style as long as I wasn't trying to duplicate a specific beer?

The complexity of water has kept me from being concerned with mashing.
I've looked at my water profile and it was lengthy.
So using all store bought water would be good for any style as long as I wasn't trying to duplicate a specific beer?

If you used regular bottled water you would PROBABLY be ok for MOST beers. Recipes with large amounts of roasted and crystal grains (imperial stouts etc.) or recipes with very little to no crystal or roasted grains may come out tasting a little flat or astringent.

If you want to dial in your brewing water and mash pH without becoming a water scientist, use the recommendations from ajdelange's "Brewing water chemistry primer". It breaks down pretty clearly what to do for whatever kind of beer you are trying to brew without overexplaing the science.

Here it is quoted in short form from this thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/brewing-water-chemistry-primer-198460/

The following recommendations apply to “soft” water. Here we will define soft as meaning RO or distilled water or any water whose lab report indicates alkalinity less than 35 (ppm as CaCO3 – all other numbers to follow mg/L), sulfate less than 20 (as sulfate – Ward Labs reports as sulfur so multiply the SO4-S number by 3 to get as sulfate), chloride less than 20, sodium less than 20, calcium less than 20 and magnesium less than 20. If your water has numbers higher than these, dilute it with RO or DI water. A 1:1 dilution reduces each ion concentration to 1/2, a 2:1 dilution to 1/3 and so on. If your water contains chloramines add 1 campden tablet per 20 gallons (before any dilution)

Baseline: Add 1 tsp of calcium chloride dihydrate (what your LHBS sells) to each 5 gallons of water treated. Add 2% sauermalz to the grist.

Deviate from the baseline as follows:

For soft water beers (i.e Pils, Helles). Use half the baseline amount of calcium chloride and increase the sauermalz to 3%

For beers that use roast malt (Stout, porter): Skip the sauermalz.

For British beers: Add 1 tsp gypsum as well as 1 tsp calcium chloride

For very minerally beers (Export, Burton ale): Double the calcium chloride and the gypsum.

These recommendations should get you a good beer if not the best beer. To get the best you should vary the amounts of the added salts noting carefully whether a change benefits or detriments your enjoyment of the beer. Additional sulfate will sharpen the perceived hops bitterness. Additional chloride will round, smooth and sweeten the beer. Add or decrease these in small amounts.

Those serious about getting the best possible results should buy a pH meter and check mash pH increasing or decreasing the amount of sauermalz to get pH around 5.3. Unfortunately the strips don’t seem to work very well.

Back