Fermenting Lemonade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Closetairlock

Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about fermenting lemonade? like the kind you make from a powder. I want to make hard lemonade, and have it maintain a good taste like lemonade, please tell me your recipes if you have them, or your suggestions. Thank you!
-Closet airlock

Well considering powdered lemonade is nothing but citric acid and sugar, my advice is do not do it. You need some true fruit component in this. By ReaLemon juice. Visit the website for Skeeter Pee and you will be drinking an awesome hard lemonade in under 90 days.

I have never used the powder to make a lemon wine. However here is what I would do.

1 gallon recipe

Use double the directions on the powder to make one gallon.
Check gravity and adjust with additional sugar to 1.07.
Hit this with one crushed Camden tablet and wait 24 hours.
While the Camden tablet works make a yeast starter with the following:

2 cups water
1/4 cup honey
1/8tsp yeast nutrient
10 raisins cut in half
Yeast (lalvin 71b)

After 24 hours whip the lemonade must plenty to add in O2. Then add in 1/4 cup of must to the starter. Fermentation should not slow down. Add in another 1/4 cup after 30 min. Do this two more times and if the starter still looks active pitch the starter and add 1 tsp yeast nutrient and 1/2 tsp yeast energizer.

This should ferment dry. Once fermentation finishes rack into secondary. Rack every time the sediment reaches 1/4 inch. Once all clear stabilize with Camden and sorbate. Back sweeten to taste with additional sugar.

Should be a simple recipe and deliver decent results. However I am a fan of Skeeter Pee. You may give that a look at skeeterpee.com and try that instead.

Back