to rack or not to rack...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nolabrew85

Reaction score
I am torn on whether to rack into secondary before dryhopping IPA. It has been in primary for 10 days now and I suspect the krausen has falllen. I would like to add hops now and then bottle in about a week. To me 17 to 20 days does not seem like long enough for autolysis to affect the flavor of my beer (there are those that disagree), and I think the possibility of oxidation in transferring to secondary and the off flavors therefrom would likely be more detrimental than anything I would get from the beer sitting on the yeast for another week. I know this is a much debated topic, but I thought I would spark it up again and see how people feel now. Thanks for participating!

My general practice on IPA's is:
Day 1-14 primary fermentation
Day 15-19 (or so) Dry hop in Primary.
Cold Crash or just transfer straight to Keg. (depends on amt. of hop material).

*** You will get no "off flavor" from yeast in 2-4 weeks..... to the contrary, the yeast will help clean up off flavors at this point.

Hasn't it been determined that autolysis isn't something the homebrewer needs to worry about, especially withing a month or so on the yeast cake.

Weather or not I'm dry hopping, I usually leave my beers in primary for 3 weeks ~ 21 days, depending on when a keg opens up, etc.

I'v actually done two of the exact same IPAs, one was transferred to secondary at 14 days, to free up a fermenter and dry hop in there. The other, was left in primary for almost 4 weeeks, before I transferred to secondary (again to free up a fermenter) and dry hop in there. I didn't notice any off flavors in the beer at all. I can't say that I've ever tasted autolysis for sure, so unless it tastes good, I've never had a problem with it.

Yea, I typically dry hop in the primary unless I'm really using a ton of hops. All you need to do is wait 3-5 days after your fermentation is totally done (FG) and toss them in. I like a short dry hop ~3 days when using pellets.

I dry-hop in primary some, but if you keg, I recommend doing it there while the beer carbs. Throw the hops in a paint strainer bag or some voile cloth. Freshest hop aroma you can get, and the only way I do it nowadays (or I do both)

I dry-hop in primary some, but if you keg, I recommend doing it there while the beer carbs. Throw the hops in a paint strainer bag or some voile cloth. Freshest hop aroma you can get, and the only way I do it nowadays (or I do both)

I have been wanting to try that! But I only have one keg right now and it is filled. Next time I will for sure. I need to get a second keg. If I wanted to go cheap, I guess I could add one by just adding a gas line splitter (of course both kegs would have the same pressure, but I think I could work around that).

I have been wanting to try that! But I only have one keg right now and it is filled. Next time I will for sure. I need to get a second keg. If I wanted to go cheap, I guess I could add one by just adding a gas line splitter (of course both kegs would have the same pressure, but I think I could work around that).

I have 3 kegs, soon to be 5. I only have a splitter on my single gas line. It's a pain at times to remove the QD on kegs so I can throw 30PSI into a new one, and I forget sometimes, but overall I didn't have to spend $60 on a manifold (which I still may do).

The brass cross cost me $4 shipped I think. I'll need to add another one or a manifold (with check valves, nice feature) once I get these next 2 kegs in.

I have always dry hopped in primary and let it go a week for the hops to all settle to the bottom and then rack to bottling or keg using a paint strainer of the racking cane as a filter.

The krausen has not all the way falling yet and I am about to leave town tomorrow for 3 days. Can I toss the hops in the fermenter now or should I wait til I get back? What is the issue with adding them before the krausen falls?

The concern with adding your dry hops during active fermentation is that you will lose that precious hop aroma out of your airlock as the CO2 is still escaping. I know some breweries (21st amendment IIRC) do add some of their dry hops towards the very end of active fermentation, however, they cap their airlock so nothing escapes (I assume stainless steel fermenters can contain the pressure buildup much better than a carboy or bucket). The advantage is that as the hop pellets disintegrate and fall to the bottom the rising CO2 bubbles lift them back up and keep them in suspension, which means you get more hop bang for your buck (and who doesn't want that!).

I used to dry hop in the fine mesh nylon bags in my primary, but I have since started dumping the pellets straight into the primary a week before kegging. I have found that cold crashing, even just for 24 hours, makes a huge difference on how quickly and fully the hoppy bits settle out, however I have also been zip tying a fine mesh nylon bag to the end of my racking cane, which helps a lot too.

Oh, and I regularly leave my beers in the primary for 3-4 weeks before kegging, with no off flavors at all. The concern with autolysis comes mostly from the large commercial cylindrical conical fermenters, and has more to do with the weight and pressure of the beer put upon the yeast in the bottom of the fermenter cone. Using broad bottomed buckets or glass carboys for homebrewing doesn't seem to create that problem.

Latest posts

Back