Nelson Sauvin IPA - whew! grapes of wrath

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBC

Reaction score
I brewed a Nelson Sauvin IPA (single hop) that just hit the keg a few days ago. I took a sample (not fully carbonated yet) and WOW! The grapes hit me in the head.

I thought it would be fruity as others have claimed, but you cannot understand this until you actually take a drink. I just hope it mellows and blends well with age (expecting it to!) so that it can be a favorite drinker of mine.

Anyone else done a single hop nelson before?

Just brewed my second batch of Nelson Sauvin IIPA Saturday. Single hop, 5 additions in the boil, 4 ounces in the boil, 4 ounces dry-hopped, loved it the first time, excited to try it again.

The first time was for an event at a brewery and it was killed in under an hour.

My saison that I finished with Nelson took me a while before I really liked it. I found the Nelson hops to be fairly overpowering at first. Now that they've mellowed, its really delicious, but it took a while (~1.5 months or so, I believe).

Nelson is amazing, my favorite beer that I've had in the past 5 years is Societe's The Pupil IPA which is Nelson and Citra. I would LOVE to try to clone that if I could get my hands on some Nelson.

Nelson is amazing, my favorite beer that I've had in the past 5 years is Societe's The Pupil IPA which is Nelson and Citra. I would LOVE to try to clone that if I could get my hands on some Nelson.

I love the pupil. Societe is making some awesome beers.

I have been tempted to do a citra addition--- but I wanted to clearly 'learn' the Nelson in this batch so I know its full use in the future.

I just bottled my Pale Ale recipe which used Cascade and Nelson. I dry hopped w/ two oz of Nelson. Bottling day sample was amazing - by far the best tasting brew at this stage I've made. Aroma was so good..... can't wait till it's ready.... mmmmmm

okay... a few more days has passed..and it is becoming interesting! My lovely wife who fears hops, loves it. I am liking it too...for its own uniqueness. I cannot wait a few weeks to see what time does for it. This could be my favorite as well.

Back