Patio Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lustreking

Reaction score
When we bought our house, there was a nice, approx 10x15, paver patio. Unfortunately, right next to it was a tree and over the years, the tree roots heaved up some of the pavers. It's now all uneven, and unsightly. I haven't tried to lift any of the pavers up to see what's underneath, but based on the previous owner's other "handiwork" I doubt that they were installed correctly. I would guess that he just dug down an inch and threw the pavers on the ground.

I'm looking at options at what I can do to fix this space for the minimum amount of money, as we don't expect to be here for more than a year or two, and investing a lot of money on it wouldn't provide any ROI.

Any thoughts?

Tree roots will "heave" the foundation of your house, your driveway etc. Even if the pavers were installed with good base materials and done right you would likely be having the same issues.

You could remove the uprooted blocks "no pun intended" and accent or mulch around it and make it look like it was done on purpose.

Paver-patio-1.jpg

Your other option if you have clearance is to get the base material - crushed rock I think - and add a few inches packed down and replace the pavers.

not even a properly-laid paver base will withstand tree roots. The tree would have to go and the patio re-laid/replaced.

On another note....you bought a house and only plan to stay for 1-2 years? why?

Your other option if you have clearance is to get the base material - crushed rock I think - and add a few inches packed down and replace the pavers.

I think with this the roots would just push back up again....it would be a temp fix...

Back