I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stopped over at the folks house last year. Went in the front door to say hi to mom. We chit chatted for a few minutes, then I asked where dad was. She give me the "look" and says, he is in the garage with some new junk! Oh Oh. I head out to the garage and he is at the work bench with two or three 2x3 boxes. I look in and they are filled with all kinds of chainsaw motors and parts. He is smiling and proclaims loudly, "I got it all for five bucks!" I look at him and say, "Are you nuts? You've got two really nice Poulans over there on the shelf and you've given me and my brother your old rebuilt saws. What do you need with a box of chainsaw parts?" He looks at me, holds up one of the boxes, smiles again and says, "But I got all of it for five bucks!"

Sounds like I would like your Dad :rockin: I am forever coming home with boxes of stuff that I got for cheap and making stuff out of it. Most times it does not work but hey it keeps me in the shop out of my wifes hair.

Last thing I got was a washing machine motor with the transmission still on it. I am thinking I am going to hook it up to my grain mill somehow and mill the grain at a slow speed

Thanks guys. This really is the best thread on HBT.
Looks like the little bundle of smells and squishy stuff is aiming for November 9-12, depending on who we are talking to and when their birthday is.

Not too sure what I'll brew for when he (hopeful thinking) comes. It'll probably be up to his mom, since she puts up with me enjoying beers while she abstains. She'll get her cup out with her two lines (one for beer and one for wine) marked in it after the first trimester passes. Since she chooses, it'll probably be a super hoppy double IPA.

Instead of naming the baby after an IPA, I guess we'll name an IPA after the baby. Funny thing, we have fun names for all of our beers, except for our IPA. Gotta come up with something, nows as good a time as any.

I really like the Sprinter, but we're going to make sure this is our last baby. The smallest Sprinter seats 10, with approx 4' behind the back seat. It's a beast. I did argue that then we wouldn't need a truck, I got the "We don't have a truck now" response. SWMBO is too smart for me. We have unlimited access to truck between the farm and the rest of our family, so that need is filled.

There's just something satisfying about hoarding away potentially useful junk that you'll probably never use, but if and when you do, it's priceless. When I first bought my house I made countless trips to the hardware store. Now I can round up most anything I need for a project by picking through stuff in the garage. My grandpa used to be an auction and flea market junkie, now I know why.

Congratulaions on the new recruit snaps!! :mug:

This picture made me think of this thread!

image.jpg

BobbiLynn, very happy for you! Family, is family. Cheers on your re-union!

Family what does it mean?
We grow up among our kin
Sometimes grow apart in the end
But there is still a strong bond among us
We can always go home..
in this there should be trust

That's more of my bad verse. BobbiLynn life isn't rehearsed. I hope you have a blast in August!
I suppose that depends on who you ask. :fro:

Hubby and I switched to a diesel truck years ago, probably 8-10 years ago, and we make our own diesel. Hubby has a machine that does it and even the local college, FAMU, has come to our farm to listen to hubby's demonstrations and see his work. I think he really is the smartest guy in the world, at least out of the ones I have met in person.
Interesting. I'd like to do that someday I think. Where do you get the vegetable oil?

In unrelated news. I was attacked by a goose today. All I could think was, "You know you're food, right?" I was laughing while ducking out of the way. :p

Interesting. I'd like to do that someday I think. Where do you get the vegetable oil?

In unrelated news. I was attacked by a goose today. All I could think was, "You know you're food, right?" I was laughing while ducking out of the way. :p

Right now we've got 3 local restaurants that let us haul off their used cooking oil for them. And here and there we get more. In the summers a couple food stands that let us have their used oil too.

Sorry to hear about the goose attack, must have been scary, I'm afraid of their feet. Not afraid of the actual geese, just their feet.

Right now we've got 3 local restaurants that let us haul off their used cooking oil for them. And here and there we get more. In the summers a couple food stands that let us have their used oil too.

Sorry to hear about the goose attack, must have been scary, I'm afraid of their feet. Not afraid of the actual geese, just their feet.
Lol, not scary, just funny. They nest near the building I work in every year. I'm like 30 feet from this thing on the other side of a fence when it decided to come after me too.

It was a little like this, only I was having trouble fending it off because I was laughing like crazy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Good evening late-niters!

Can't argue with that. For a lot of homebrewers, this forum is the place to hang out, to make friends with other schmoes like them, and to feel like they have a place they belong without a lot of questions. Maybe without a lot of judging.

Be glad there's one place in the world
where everybody knows your name,
And they're always glad you came;
You want to go where people know,
People are all the same;
You want to go where everybody knows your name.

passedpawn said:
Can't argue with that. For a lot of homebrewers, this forum is the place to hang out, to make friends with other schmoes like them, and to feel like

And as long as you're posting, you're not drinking alone. So drink away!

Good evening late-niters!

Can't argue with that. For a lot of homebrewers, this forum is the place to hang out, to make friends with other schmoes like them, and to feel like they have a place they belong without a lot of questions. Maybe without a lot of judging.

Be glad there's one place in the world
where everybody knows your name,
And they're always glad you came;
You want to go where people know,
People are all the same;
You want to go where everybody knows your name.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KtAgAMzaeg
I'll drink to that. Cheers friends.

I had to train this women at work today for about four hours. I've had a crush on her for about two years.... Yeah. I put a tack in my shoe and stepped on it every few minutes so I would behave myself. I really can't afford to be fired. Remind me not to shoot my mouth off about people who can't control their libidos again. I'm probably going to have to do more training with her next week.

I was talking to an old friend today. Back in the eighties we were stationed aboard the USS Midway. Our ship was home ported in Yokosuka, Japan. My friend and I were part of the the Airwing called Carrier Air Group Five. The Midway, or as we use to call her, USS Neverdock, was an old aircraft carrier even back then and is now a museum in San Diego.

Our talk brought on some great memories. Here's one.

One year, I think it was 1987. Our ship anchored off the coast of Oman on Christmas eve. We had a USO show come aboard. Bob Hope (he was in his 80's I think), The Miss America at the time, The Solid Gold Dancers and Barbara Eden all traveled out to see us and put on a show.

Back then, Lee Greenwood, had recently released his "Proud To Be An American" record... He was part of that show Christmas eve in 1987.

Everybody but duty section packed into the forward hangar bay. Somewhere near 3,000+ people gathered to watch the show.

Bob Hope was awesome. I at that time felt I'd been touched by history. Barbara Eden was still pretty sexy, Miss America was nice, the Solid Gold Dancers were luscious. And then Lee Greenwood came out and sang his song Proud to be an American. I gotta say..There wasn't many dry eyes in that crowd when it was over.

I'll never get tired of this song. Thank you YouTube.. here's a video from that night. I'm one of the guys in a green jersey.

I was talking to an old friend today. Back in the eighties we were stationed aboard the USS Midway.

I'll never get tired of this song. Thank you YouTube.. here's a video from that night. I'm one of the guys in a green jersey

Thanks. Always a cool song and great background singers. :)

I don't know if I have already said this to you, but thank you for your service and sacrifice.

Thanks. Always a cool song and great background singers. :)

I don't know if I have already said this to you, but thank you for your service and sacrifice.

I think you have. But I thank you again for the nice words. I'm only one of many who served or are currently serving. I gotta say though, I'm always grateful and at the same time very humbled when somebody says thanks for serving. I won't deny I'm proud of what I did, but at the same time realize many have done and sacrificed much more than me and I am thankful for them.

I'm retired from the Navy now but still work on a Navy base. I see the young people serving and get a bit homesick. There are very great people in the military. Whether they know it at the time or not are making huge sacrifices for us.

I think I need to get some sleep. I haven't had anything for a little while and two glasses of wine have almost flattened me. Goodnight kids, and remember, baby alligators and crocodiles might be cute in the pet store but they grow up to be beautiful wallets and purses.

I'm wide awake tonight. Just gettin started on my second pint.

I was downright aggressive with the rye malt on this one, 20% if memory serves me. The brew started out a little dominated by an oily, spicy rye bite. The edge has faded a bit lo these past 2 weeks in the keg... quite nice now.

Just want to thank my mailman for delivering my recycling directly to my house.

I don't even take the junk mail out of the mailbox until it's full, then empty it all at once. I just take out the mail I want and leave the rest there. We have a big mailbox so plenty of room.

I trimmed my potted oregano today and wondering what I'm going to do with all this oregano. Over 1/2 pound filling up a gallon size container in the fridge. The oregano is very bitter when you just bite into, could possibly replace hops or some of each? Tomorrow is brew day and will be interesting to see what happens.

I trimmed my potted oregano today and wondering what I'm going to do with all this oregano. Over 1/2 pound filling up a gallon size container in the fridge. The oregano is very bitter when you just bite into, could possibly replace hops or some of each? Tomorrow is brew day and will be interesting to see what happens.

You're braver than me. I don't think I could stomach a beer with oregano in it.

You could always dry it, and store it in a jar for cooking. I grow lots of herbs and dry them in my dehydrator. Dried homegrown oregano is great in homemade tomato sauce. Even better if the tomatoes are homegrown too.

So, I got my hop rhizomes finally yesterday. I planted 8 varieties this year.

You're braver than me. I don't think I could stomach a beer with oregano in it.

You could always dry it, and store it in a jar for cooking. I grow lots of herbs and dry them in my dehydrator. Dried homegrown oregano is great in homemade tomato sauce. Even better if the tomatoes are homegrown too.

So, I got my hop rhizomes finally yesterday. I planted 8 varieties this year.

My rhizomes are already popping their heads out of the ground. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow. Decided to grow some hops this year, got them from HalifaxHops and very impressed, and great price.

I have a very diverse pallette. I imagine that I'll enjoy it, love oregano, love beer, they might pair together prefectly. Gonna do 2- 2.5 gallon batches tomorrow, one inside and one outside on the propane, brewing 2.5 on propane should be super quick even for a full boil.

This all goes back to that topic, "when is it not beer". If I add sweet tomato juice to the oregano batch in secondary, maybe a little fresh yeast to get things moving... I'm going to use the oregano as you would use hops, add at intervals during the boil. Dry hopping I'm afraid would cause harsh flavors, age oregano beer, I bet in the end no one would be able to guess the ingredients, it would be so "there" and yet so subtle.

I've been drinking whiskey but my rhizomes are still popping the ground, just checked. Can't remember the last time I drank liquor, can't remember much at all actually. :drunk:

I've been drinking whiskey but my rhizomes are still popping the ground, just checked. Can't remember the last time I drank liquor, can't remember much at all actually. :drunk:

Take it easy on that whiskey! Goes down easy, but comes up rough! haha..

I have three hop plants from last year that have already grown about 2-2.5 feet. The new rhizomes just got planted yesterday. I'm frustrated with Arrowhead Hops, because they shipped later than I would have liked. I guess people up north just don't realize that spring is about a month earlier in the desert southwest as compared to the rest of the country. They should have gone in the ground about 3-4 weeks ago in my location. Hopefully they can get established before the harsh, dry heat sets in....

I have three hop plants from last year that have already grown about 2-2.5 feet. The new rhizomes just got planted yesterday. I'm frustrated with Arrowhead Hops, because they shipped later than I would have liked. I guess people up north just don't realize that spring is about a month earlier in the desert southwest as compared to the rest of the country. They should have gone in the ground about 3-4 weeks ago in my location. Hopefully they can get established before the harsh, dry heat sets in....

All my hops are up, most about 1-2feet (except the English ones that never thrive for me). I have one Cascade with an 8-10 foot runner. I thought maybe I should clip that one.

Wearing sunglasses at night, are we?

I do that with glare reducing fishing glasses a lot. I have really light sensitive eyes, so the headlights bother me otherwise.
Actually, that doesn't sound half bad. Something like a gruit I would think.

Hey ladies and germs, it's Saturday night!
Yup, only working 8 hours tomorrow and the boss won't be there. I think I'll drink a little.

All my hops are up, most about 1-2feet (except the English ones that never thrive for me). I have one Cascade with an 8-10 foot runner. I thought maybe I should clip that one.
My Cascade is also my best grower. Don't clip it! Let that baby climb as high as you can!

Evening all!
What's up Bubba?!

Hey ladies and germs, it's Saturday night!
Howdy! Saturday night's alright for....... drinking! :tank:
Yup, only working 8 hours tomorrow and the boss won't be there. I think I'll drink a little.

I'll drink another if you do!

Looks like the little bundle of smells and squishy stuff is aiming for November 9-12, depending on who we are talking to and when their birthday is.

Not too sure what I'll brew for when he (hopeful thinking) comes. It'll probably be up to his mom, since she puts up with me enjoying beers while she abstains. She'll get her cup out with her two lines (one for beer and one for wine) marked in it after the first trimester passes. Since she chooses, it'll probably be a super hoppy double IPA.

Instead of naming the baby after an IPA, I guess we'll name an IPA after the baby. Funny thing, we have fun names for all of our beers, except for our IPA. Gotta come up with something, nows as good a time as any.

I really like the Sprinter, but we're going to make sure this is our last baby. The smallest Sprinter seats 10, with approx 4' behind the back seat. It's a beast. I did argue that then we wouldn't need a truck, I got the "We don't have a truck now" response. SWMBO is too smart for me. We have unlimited access to truck between the farm and the rest of our family, so that need is filled.

Snaps! Congrats to you and your family. Dang man, we only live 15 miles away. Hope to meet up with you and have a brew day before I move.

Back