Mash Tun Question: Sanke Keg Vs 10 Gallon Igloo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pratzie

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I keep hearing that Sanke kegs with a false bottom will provide better efficiency then going the same route with a cooler.

Im just curious, from others who have upgraded from a cooler to a sanke, whats the efficiency increase? More then 10%?

I wanted to go the ways of a 10 gallon igloo with this false bottom with stand from NorCal.
http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.c...rect)|utmcmd=(none)&__utmv=-&__utmk=170382368

I could also just get a false bottom for one of my two keggles... However I only have one burner so I would need to use my stove to heat my sparge water and also get a bucket to collect the runnings.

All of which seems to be a bit more work and money to invest so at this point im thinking i'd rather go with the igloo cooler unless its a HUGE difference in efficiency.

I think the increased diameter and the corresponding increase in the area of the filter surface would contribute to more efficient lautering, but that's just a guess. I am in the process of converting from a cooler with a manifold to a keggle MLT and eHerms system. So I am also curious.

yeah i mean ive always heard it increases efficiency but ive also read that u can just increase your grain bill a bit as well. At this point it seems like a cheaper option with the hardware i have.

sure, you can increase your grain bill to make up for efficiency, but there is also the "cool factor" of using a keggle MLT :).

I didn't get any increase in efficiency at all. But I did get a bigger MLT. My 10 gallon cooler was limited to just about 23 pounds of grain. The keg MLT easily holds 30 pounds, maybe more, as I've never done more than 30 pounds of grain in one batch. My efficiency is just about the same, though.

I didn't get any increase in efficiency at all. But I did get a bigger MLT. My 10 gallon cooler was limited to just about 23 pounds of grain. The keg MLT easily holds 30 pounds, maybe more, as I've never done more than 30 pounds of grain in one batch. My efficiency is just about the same, though.

You make bigger batches? 10 gallons or more? For now at least i'm more keyed on making alot of different 5 gallon batches. I don't have one particular fav style of beer to make 10 gallons worth right now. The only one I could see doing is a light lager for my BMC loving friends and family.

You make bigger batches? 10 gallons or more? For now at least i'm more keyed on making alot of different 5 gallon batches. I don't have one particular fav style of beer to make 10 gallons worth right now. The only one I could see doing is a light lager for my BMC loving friends and family.

Yes, I often make 10 gallon batches. With the 10 gallon MLT, I could make a 10 gallon batch up to about 1.065, or a 5 gallon batch up to about 1.095 (due to lower effiency with that big of a grainbill).

With a 10 gallon cooler, you could easily make a 10 gallon batch of a cream ale or light lager, no problem. You can make any 5 gallon batch at all.

Ya that would be my general purpose. 10 gallon lighter stuff or five gallon HG stuff. I just put alot of $$$ into my hardware with a two keggle upgrade so for now, it'd be better and cheaper for me to just go with the cooler since it doesn't seem i'd really benefit much from another keggle as a MLT.

What kind of setup did u have with the cooler? Bazooka screen or false bottom?

Ya that would be my general purpose. 10 gallon lighter stuff or five gallon HG stuff. I just put alot of $$$ into my hardware with a two keggle upgrade so for now, it'd be better and cheaper for me to just go with the cooler since it doesn't seem i'd really benefit much from another keggle as a MLT.

What kind of setup did u have with the cooler? Bazooka screen or false bottom?

I have a false bottom with a diptube set up. I still use it sometimes, for smaller batches.

One big advantage to the cooler is the weight! My keg MLT is heavy, even when empty. I think it weighs +/- 30 pounds. Add some wet grain, and it's a pain to empty it. And then to lift it to hose out is a pain as well. Even with a tippy dump and CIP, I usually prefer the cooler if I can get away with it for my batch size.

Back