US craft beer @ BBC News

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What had happened when the law that repealed prohibition came to be,it allowed folks to make their own wine. but the words "& beer" were left out,I think by money under the table,till the law was modified by Jimmy Carter & took effect in 1979 to put in the words "and beer".
Pretty good article that basically tells it like it was/is. I'm proud to be here & be a part of this new American Revolution. Who knows what the future will bring,for instance,with these hybrid lagers some of us are tinkering with? I'm also tinkering with a PM American rauchbeir. Needs a couple more brews to perfect though...:tank:

I really should find the research and do the write up, but for a married head of family (ie a man) he could make wine from 1933 to 1979. It was illegal for singles to make wine, and for everyone to make beer without paying tax. I think, although I've not found data on this yet, that from 1920 to 1933, heads of family could make wine in limited amounts, especially if it was for religious purposes.

The real change in the 1979 rider part of the 1979 law (which Carter while he signed didn't want to sign with the rider) was to change the 'head of household' clause to include everyone. OF course there are still a few anachronisms about it like the 100/adult 200/household limit. It presumes a standard family with 2 adults, not some group of 20 somethings (like the tv show friends) or several unrealted adults all sharing an address. But I digress.

Details are here https://www.jct.gov/publications.html?func=startdown&id=3822 (pdf on pg 7 or 8) tells about the head of family change. Also legislation generally starts in the congress, and is enacted/signed by the President.

>note I've edited the beginnning after tracking down the original text of the 1979 law. I was in error about HoF able to brew beer<

I took it to understand that with,say,2 people of drinking age (generally 21) in the house,then 200 gallons of beer or wine can be made. Not sure if that strictly applies to the HoH?...But one does have to be 21 to get the supplies & brew it. Shops I've been in don't allow under 21's to enter.

Right 2 people of drinking age in the house, but that means only 100 if you live alone (or with <21 yrolds) and not more than 200 if you are living with more than 1 other 21+ aged persons. Say a family where the kids moved back in after college as a for example. Since my LHBS are multi - ie have products other than HB, they alow in minors.

Back