Wine/Kilju tastes bubbly after tastetesting??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bathtub_Gin

Reaction score
Here's the story:

I decided to make Kilju, which is fermenting white Table Sugar, but I decided to add some Fruit Juice as well. I'd say it's equal parts of each. I used Baker's Yeast and it's been fermenting since Monday (4 1/2 Days ago) in my basement. The basement is a bit chilly and the liquid cold, and I realized this yesterday so that might be a factor as well. I also am using a 'Balloon Airlock'...yeah

It's still midway through fermenting and bubbling like mad, but I decided to take a shot to see how it was coming along. I expected ****, but I was impressed, it tastes like Mike's Hard Lemonade :eek: That's not a bad thing it's very good :D , but it confuses me:

-Why is it carbonated?
-I'm assuming it's only sweet because it's not finished fermenting, should I expect stronger ABV (Hoping for at least 15%) and less sweetness?
-Will the yeast settle and the liquid clear up?

It's not really "carbonated". It's just that yeast ferments sugar, and produces ethanol and co2 as a result. Since some of the co2 goes out of the airlock, it will still have some in solution.

Once fermentation is done, the co2 will continue to dissipate and since the yeast isn't producing more c02, it will eventually degas. Once fermentation is done, the yeast will fall out and settle to the bottom as lees.

Back